What are the best methods to get my parrot dry when spraying him in winter?

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hi there guys,

South Africa is slowly heading towards winter and I was wondering what everyone does when showering/spraying their parrot when it's cold. I normally spray him 3xtimes a week and when we have had very hot conditions I have had to do it several times a day.

Do you guys use luke warm water? towel dry? hairdryer? I cant put Hugo into a towel at all as he will stress himself silly and I usually spray him when he is sitting on his play gym. I can get an extension and hairdryer him dry while he is sitting on my shoulder. How quickly do you have to get them dry before they get a chill? This is new to me as last winter I was non the wiser and didnt bath him once. He does bath himself but that only wets his front and he dries quickly.

Any advice would be great, you guys have so many great ideas - cant wait to hear what procedures you use :D:green2:
PS - If the towel is the best option does anyone have any ideas on how to train him to sit calmly in a towel? Thats one thing I have never got right with him.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I use a hairdryer usually as soon as Shadow finishes spreading the water around herself. I think she enjoys the drying more than the bathing.

** Just be aware some hairdryers use teflon

Last edited:
OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Hi Mel, thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry for sounding dense but what is Teflon? I need to get another hairdryer for myself because the other one just gave up - haha. How will I know if it uses Teflon? What happens if I burn him? I will obviously keep the dryer far away and move it from side to side but I dont want to make a mistake and scare him. Shadow is stunning!!!! How big is he/she? How many times a week do you bath Shadow?

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Am full of questions - lol!!! what do you guys do to keep the room warm in winter? what is the general idea about heaters - I know that they are a risk if the parrot flies into them and I heard some can have odours that are bad for birds. I remember last winter struggling to keep the room warm and I dont want Hugo to spend the whole time fluffed up because he is cold. There are no draughts or anything.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Teflon is the brand name, the proper name is polytetrafluoroethylene (PFTE). It a non-stick coating used on irons, in cookware and many other household products. If overheated the fumes can be fatal to birds, apparently it's only a problem if you use it at very high temps so if you use the hairdryer on low heat it should be ok. I'm not sure how to tell a hair dryer's teflon-free maybe google or call some manufacturers, it might even be on the packaging? I'm in search of one now too as mine's very old will let you know if I find one.

I bath Shadow 2-3 times a week, they originate from the rainforests so she loves bathtime. She's about 25cms from tail to head, she's only 15wks so still has a bit of growing to do. My previous parrot was a Galah who I only bathed once a week, he didn't like it too much.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I heard some can have odours that are bad for birds.

That's probably the teflon in them - I think space heaters have teflon. I have a natural gas heater I always keep a window slightly open to keep the air freshish :)

I also have a heat lamp I bought for my prevous bird who was always sick. It's good to put at one end of the cage so they can move towards it if cold and away if they get too hot

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
I know how it feels to have a sick bird, I have so much respect for you Mel...the heat lamp sounds awesome, can you give me a brand name please, is it specially for birds or do you buy it from a general store? I think that would be my best solution - your a legend!!!!!

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I thought I read on one of the threads Hugo is a bit sick, he's a very lucky boy to have a dedicated human like you. I bought a Breville heat lamp for humans from a Dept store but you can get heat lamps and basking lamps designed for reptiles from pet stores. I found it really useful for Cooper.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Im going to get cracking with getting a lamp, Hugo has been sick for months - since last October, we are getting there and he is already happy and cheerful again, thank you for your kins words :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Ecclipse, yipe winter sure is going to hit us badly again this year.
During the cold months I let Mishka take a warm shower, she loves it.
Three times a week.
Cover her up with a towel quickly (she hates the towel) then to the bedroom where I blow dry her.
Place the towel on the bed, playing with him. Distract him at first.
Make sure the drier is on a low heat, talk to Hugo, telling him what you are doing.
Amazing how they adapt to something new.
I place a heater, (safe one) the other end of the room.
Below is a picture of Mishka while blow drying her.
antoinette-albums-mishka-picture53-mishla-loves-going-under-shower-getting-wet-then-having-blow-dry-only-winter-though.jpg

When I have dried the top of her, without me asking her, she lifts tail up, letting me dry her underneath.
Good luck my friend

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That is such an adorable pic. She really does know what you are doing.

Thanks SB, ;) not often I get a good pic of her, she is camera shy LoL
I am very fortunate she loves showering and being blow dried.
When I tell her bathies, she gets so exited, starts flapping her wings and whistling.
My life would not be complete without my Mishka :grey:

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Thanks for the advice gals - will look at the link. Going to def look into getting a heater that is friendly and get Hugo used to the towel - oh boy!!!! hahaha. Wish me luck!

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Was just on Youtube, someone posted the following Conair hair dryers are teflon-free

Model #185R - (1875 Watt Styler) (full size);
Model #247X - (1875 Dryer) (medium size);
Model #127lz - (1875w), #124P - (1875w), #124A - (1600w)(smaller sizes

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Thanks Mel, going this weekend to get one - pay day!!!!!Whoopeee....hahaha. Do I let Hugo clean himself a bit or do I blow dry/towel him straight away?

Most Reactions