What are you lining your cages with?

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Which is more economical? I see people using newspapers, cardboard, doggie pads, and I believe Ive seen Guinea pig like pellets. What are you using?

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
I use The New York Times from a couple days ago.

I was told it's best to use paper as opposed to any kind of shredded or loose material by the bird store folks where I get Geordi groomed; less chance of bacteria growth.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I use newspaper, though I suppose I could use just about anything, as Bitty's cage is designed such that the newspaper can't be reached (it's below the bottom grate).

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Newspaper! The ink inhibits the growth of bacteria, and it's cheap!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I also use newspaper, i cange every morning so we have to read it in the cage lol

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
I use puppy pads. I have them around for my dogs so I use the emergency stash (the teeny ones) for the cage.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I was using newspaper in all of the cages, then I started using aspen bedding in the budgie cages. Last week I started to get low on newspaper and I asked my other half to try and bring some home from work and he came home with a giant roll of white paper. I cleaned cages last night and I had to cut the paper to fit the cage pans, which was kind of a PITA, but it is pretty thick paper, and I kind of like the way it looks in the cages. Since it's flat white, it looks a little cleaner than the newspaper did. I also removed the grates out of the budgie cages and gave them new aspen. I only took the grate out because it didn't seem to really serve a purpose other than to make something else I have to scrub. The trays in the budgie cages are so thin that, if they wanted to, I'm sure the budgies could reach stuff in it even with the grate. I make sure to scoop the bedding daily so it's always clean, and I figured it would give them something nice to sit on if they want to.

ketchingup

Jan 29, 2011
florida
I use newspaper, especially the front page section since it's rare that there's any good news on that page. My winged friends then provide their editorial comments on top of it.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Newspaper! The ink inhibits the growth of bacteria, and it's cheap!

I have been using packing paper; it's just like newspaper but it has no ink. I thought the ink might be toxic or my birds might get black tails, but thanks Brian for telling me this!! I'm probably going to start using newspaper from now on :).

Tswift

Feb 3, 2011
Parrots
2 Caique Sisters- Ava and Sheik
I use newspaper as well. My parents just keep the newspapers after they read them and dump them off at my place :D I have stacks of them! Free and economical :D

ftlaudmom

Oct 3, 2011
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Parrots
Ziggy a yna Rip
Rico an orange winged amazon RIP
Coco a yna
I use Chux bedliners - have tons laying around from my mom so I just change to a new one everyday - clean and fits the bottom of the cage perfectly

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Newspaper, with the grate over the top. Otherwise it gets shredded and once I suspect some may have been eaten.

Most Reactions