What are your fids afraid of or don't they like?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Forgive me if a similar thread was done before. I tried a search but couldn't see anything, so here goes.

I read a comment in another thread that the poster's fids couldn't stand red, even red hair. This got me thinking - I'm sure it would be interesting to hear what others' fids' dislikes are.

Percy does very well with change (except obviously the huge cage change recently) and doesn't mind new toys, etc. He's actually eager to explore new things.

Jack doesn't like change at all - his toys must remain as is until they disintegrate and he takes forever to accept anything new in his cage.

Percy intensely dislikes all women with the exception of my mother and on some rare lucky days, me ;).

I've noticed only the following things that really scare my fids -

Percy is terrified of sticks/perches/tubes but only when held in a human hand. Otherwise, he doesn't mind them at all. Makes me said to think why he should be so wary of sticks held by a human :(

Birds outside his window. He gets the 'freeze' whenever any bird, no matter species or size, flies by. We don't have many predatory birds around here and I strongly doubt he's even seen one. But he's afraid of any bird - even turtledoves ;). Oh, except Jack! He's not scared of Jack and often tries to get to Jack's cage for reasons I am afriad to consider. We don't allow him to go to Jack's cage because Jack is terrified of Percy.

The only thing Jack is afraid of except Percy, is the vacuum! He goes balastic if the vacuum is on and has to be moved to another room until the vacuuming is done.

So, what are your fids afraid of?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Phoe is terrified of ladders, but only when we are holding them. Dar is terrified of anything that's orange. Worst of all, they are ALL terrified of the java stand we paid $400.00 for:(

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Ahem, Fargo doesn't like me in a bikini :eek: HAHAHAHA

It was boiling hot the other week, had bikini on, with shorts...

I have never seen Fargo show aggression with eye pinning and puffing up..

But when he saw me, he had no idea who i was... :eek:

Put a shirt back on? He was perfect and came running over for cuddles hahahaha

Other than that Fargo likes everything! He is never afraid of new toys or perches.. Loves horses and dogs! :D

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
my birds in the bird room HATE a broom, they probably think it's a net.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I know, right? I was so excited when we splurged and got it, and one by one the birds have
let me know in no uncertain terms that I need to get that thing out of their room. It is now in my utility room with clothes hanging from it.

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
The only thing Rocky is afraid of is my lovebirds! If they come near him he will fly to me for refuge.

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
Hmmm, Caesar doesn't seem to be afraid of anything ATM. But I know that he hates the ringnecks and lorikeet screeching come about 3pm in the afternoon and he is fine with them any other time. Unless they fly onto his cage.
But again he had nothing to be afraid of in the first place as I got him from the breeder so he's lived a pretty good life and hasn't been mistreated.
To tell the truth I think he is a little withdrawn as he doesn't like coming out of his cage/play area much and doesn't like being on the floor. :green2:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My conure is scared of the reflections in the windows when it's dark so I have to pull the drapes at dusk because if he sees my (or others) reflections bouncing off I believe he thinks people are coming thru the windows. Other than that he's pretty fearless. My budgies are afraid of anything dark, including dark colored objects they're not familiar with. Kumar is not a fan of wild birds either, unless they're blue jays. :D

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
He dislikes when I touch his crop, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
OH my gosh the list could go on forever. My bird is the pickiest thing when it comes to toys. I'm sure it's anything less than 3 bells is trash to her! :eek: In all seriousness, if i could choose one thing that my bird hates above all other things is the window-curtains. If she is flying over to her cage, she will honestly keep at least a 3 foot distance between her and the curtains. Whenever she does end up near the curtains she pins, and attacks them. maybe she just doesn't like green?

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph dislikes anything that's bright orange. He also doesn't like the green tractor that's used for plowing snow at our apartment complex. When he sees it, he gives the Quaker alarm call. :11:

George the YCA wasn't bothered by too many things, but he was afraid of corn on the cob. :eek: He loved corn off the cob, so I guess it was the cob he was scared of.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
My moms B&G is afraid of brooms from the previous owner hitting the cage every time he screamed with a cane or something like that

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
My moms B&G is afraid of brooms from the previous owner hitting the cage every time he screamed with a cane or something like that

That is so sad! I suspect that this is the same reason my bfa is so afraid f sticks :(

It is so interesting reading what the fids find scary. Love the corn on the cob one! LOL!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I got a new phone, not a cell phone but a house phone. Rio can't stand it. If it is near her she will strike at it, but she is okay if I am talking on it. Unless of course I am ignoring her, then she does whatever she can be as loud as possible so I will hang up.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
My weiros are still afraid of my hand in their cage. They don't seem to be afraid of me if I just talk to them from outside, but they aren't having any of me trying to touch them or offer them food from my hand.

I don't know of anything my galah is afraid of, she seems quite calm and collected. She goes all "attack bird" when I type, so she doesn't seem to like that. She doesn't like being picked up when she's got her ideas about what she wants to do and I've got different ideas.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Our corella is petrified of the rainbow lori. All our birds, or at least the smaller ones, are scared of the bird nets. We have two inside, usually for catching birds on the verandah, my wife's short and unable to reach many spots. Our neighbour's girl came with her mother and a stuffed tiger toy one day- it took us a while to work out the smaller birds were alarmed by the tiger- now one of the birds, a male 'tiel is particularly is scared of the girl, even sans tiger! Apart from the lori, none of the birds like me vacuuming or sweeping with a broom. Strangely enough, the lori LOVES sweeping and will chase the broom head, shrieking with delight, and the same with the vacuum head.

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Jenga is pretty laid back - she accepts new toys easily, doesn't freak out when I paint my nails and is generally pretty open minded in that aspect. However, she HATES my hair being in a ponytail. She prefers it down or in a bun. She also hates it when the floor squeaks. I didn't realize how noisy my floorboards were until I got her and i know now which ones to avoid lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
This is a fun thread. :)

I cracked up laughing at Tab's bikini ordeal. BAHAHAHAH!!!!

ALL my fids, with NO exception are petrified of birds of prey. Not that I keep any in the house. :rolleyes: But we have the occasional bird of prey go after mice and/or other birds in my back yard, and boy, they ALL go ballistic as soon as they see one. :eek:

Ripley is TERRIFIED of my super old, orange Dyson vacuum cleaner. He will scream NON STOP as soon as he sees it.

Hunter is afraid of nail polish. She will NOT step up if there is just a hint of color on my nails.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Each other! I can't let my boys out together because they hate each other and there is always complaining when I'm with one not the other. I can't win!

Most Reactions