What can I put under my bird's cage for easy clean up?

moroi55

Feb 27, 2020
So my Jenday has developed the skill of pooping outside of his cage when he's in the cage.... My carpet does not appreciate this and I'm sure my landlord will appreciate it less. Any recommendations of something to go under his cage> I've considered an office chair mat but am open for any ideas!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our noted family with a new Human baby and Adult Amazon was first to report using a sheet (squares) of Linoleum Flooring under Kiwi's cage!

Linoleum Flooring can be purchased in sheet form (you cut to size) or in square pieces that one lays on a solid base.

My recommendation is to obtain a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" (19mm) plywood and for a single cage application cut to a 4' x 6' section. Near all Big Box Stores and Lumber Yards will cut the plywood to size. NOTE: Likely will need a friend with a Van or Pickup Truck to take home.

At the Big Box or Hardware Store, buy metal edging to hold the corners and edges in place. Yes, you will want to file or sandpaper the corners smooth.

Near all adhesives are Water Based and have little to no off-gassing, but ask before you buy!

FYI: Macine clean the carpet prior to setting in place!!!

Works great over carpet...

Last edited:

Jcusano

Jan 11, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Parrots
Black Headed Caique
Great idea! Can explain more about the metal strips, are how did you attach them and what the purpose is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great idea! Can explain more about the metal strips, are how did you attach them and what the purpose is?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The metal (commonly Aluminum) 'edging' prevents the edge and corners from lifting /not setting down properly. They are commonly seen in the transition from one type of flooring to another like at doorways, etc... Commonly, this transition metal edging is screwed down.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I use plastic hallway runners with the spikes on the bottom (cut them to fit around cage-the are cheap and cleanable). Do wipe the down/ let them air-out for a few days when you first get them (away from bird- just in case).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use the aforesaid office chair mat, for my money its the heapest,, easiest solution.Try to find a smooth surrfaced one, muuchh easier tto clean.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I use clear sections of rolled painter's plastic cut to fit. For minor foot traffic, the 2mm thickness suffices. If covering a large area with plenty of walking, the 4mm variety is better. Even the 2mm permits frequent sweeping with broom, and I change every few days.

Most Reactions