What did you ask?

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
What did you ask when you got your parrot on Craigslist? I'm finding a lot of parrots 'round these parts and scrolling through them. I'm waiting until the end of June when I'm all settled until I can get me a "pretty bird"!

And...go! :p

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
I have adopted two parrots off of Craig's List. Both I think were successful - although my latest is a bit of a challenge as I've discovered he has a handicap.

That said, I will give you advice and things I learned while perusing CL.

There are A LOT of bird 'flippers' on Craig's List. Generally, you will see them have multiple postings sequentially - you can tell its the same person by:

1. The same crappy picture quality - terrible picture of the bird. Someone that owned and loved their bird will more than likely have good quality pictures - I mean don't we all have 1,000s of pictures on our cell phones of our fids to show anyone that wants to see? Or is that just me? :)

2. They generally write very short descriptions, poor or no punctuation, and poor grammar. Example: "two cocktails rehome fee 200 obo no cage" (Yes... COCKTAILS - just saw this one the other day).

3. They try to get as much as or close to the same price you would get from a breeder... which is just SILLY.

Typically, people that genuinely care for their animal and want to find it a good home will not be charging an astronomical fee, and they will give a good description of the bird, and why they need to find it a home.

The questions I always asked are:

Why they need to rehome the bird. How old the bird is. What is the bird's current health condition. Is the bird tame. What is the bird's personality.

I also think it is important to "meet" the bird first, making it clear to the owner that you aren't definitely purchasing YET. That way you can get a good idea of the bird's living situation, and if this person was taking good care of the bird or not. If they refuse to have you into their home and will only meet at a local gas station... that's a bit sketchy to me!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
I would just like to add that one time... I responded to a "flipper". I had a feeling it was a shmuck because it was a picture of about 30 Cockatiels in a tiny cage. I thought maybe I could help a couple of them.

I sent an e-mail "Hello. I am interested in the Cockatiels you have listed on Craig's List. Just curious why you have so many and why you are looking to rehome?"

Their response was, "None of your business." Alllllllllrighty then!

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I have adopted two parrots off of Craig's List. Both I think were successful - although my latest is a bit of a challenge as I've discovered he has a handicap.

That said, I will give you advice and things I learned while perusing CL.

There are A LOT of bird 'flippers' on Craig's List. Generally, you will see them have multiple postings sequentially - you can tell its the same person by:

1. The same crappy picture quality - terrible picture of the bird. Someone that owned and loved their bird will more than likely have good quality pictures - I mean don't we all have 1,000s of pictures on our cell phones of our fids to show anyone that wants to see? Or is that just me? :)

2. They generally write very short descriptions, poor or no punctuation, and poor grammar. Example: "two cocktails rehome fee 200 obo no cage" (Yes... COCKTAILS - just saw this one the other day).

3. They try to get as much as or close to the same price you would get from a breeder... which is just SILLY.

Typically, people that genuinely care for their animal and want to find it a good home will not be charging an astronomical fee, and they will give a good description of the bird, and why they need to find it a home.

The questions I always asked are:

Why they need to rehome the bird. How old the bird is. What is the bird's current health condition. Is the bird tame. What is the bird's personality.

I also think it is important to "meet" the bird first, making it clear to the owner that you aren't definitely purchasing YET. That way you can get a good idea of the bird's living situation, and if this person was taking good care of the bird or not. If they refuse to have you into their home and will only meet at a local gas station... that's a bit sketchy to me!

Hope this helps!

And sadly, all the birds I wish to meet are all the way in Arizona or Nevada -- oh god. But thanks! Going to write this down in my mind castle. :3

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I've been rather lucky to get 6 birds off CL over the past year (thee of those were free and others for a very low price). I always ask how old is the bird, what food is it on, does it have any medical history or behavioral issues... And VERY important - WHY are they getting rid of the bird. I only take very young birds since there is a better chance to train and tame them. I usually try to engage in a long friendly chat with the owner to find out how knowledgeable he/she is about the birds, and does he/she sound like an honest person. A flipper wouldn't talk to you 45 min about her bird and tell all the little details. :D I never left without the bird actually when I went to look at it - they happened to be at least visually healthy and very active. Some came from very nice owners with whom I still stay in touch, and others from horrible ones, but so far they all thrive. Only one of those birds was tame - my little New Year "miracle" budgie. :) I usually pick the healthy birds with behavior issues that owners just want to get rid of, and so far I was able to rehab and tame them well. I had to rehome one IRN baby to a better home of my FB friend - he was too smart for my flock. :) He came to me from a desperate mom of four kids/and dogs/cats who wasn't able to tame him and to keep him safe in her home. He was a difficult case, scared to death and abused, but became sweet and tame in two months, and now is enjoying his life in a big parrot house (she has toos, macaws, amazons etc). :) I'm so happy I rescued him to a better life.
I would say - trust your guts. If something within you says "No" or you have an uncomfortable feeling - don't do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts