What do i do with a hormonal ekkie

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
so lincoln's very hormonal right now, he tried to mate with my hand and my tablet pen and he seems to be very attracted to my keyboard. What do I do? I don't want to encourage this behavior but it's a natural part of him and I really don't know what to do.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
He only thing you can do is put him down in his cage or playstand for "cool off" time. You cdont punish this, he can't help it. Just set him down for a bit.

I'm going through this now too. Except Parker doesn't want sexy time, he just turns into a viscious killer who wants nothing more than to slice me a new one. He's an aggressive hormone. It's just starting so it's all about lunging at me from a distance. In a week or less, it will escalate to full on biting, which will last a few days before subsiding.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Yeah, I ended up putting him in his cage prior to posting this, now he's just sitting there grinding his beak. I'm glad at least that he isn't aggressive.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I'm dealing with some rowdy boys myself right now. I just witnessed a budgie threesome (I can't think of a better term :p) not too long ago. I can't believe Rumi's legs didn't shatter under the wait of Ziggy ontop of Pollo :eek:. What's worse is I think Noah was going to join in >_<

Best you can do is make sure your boy's getting at least 14 hours of darkness, and plenty of exercise and enrichment to help keep him occupied. And no warm, mushy food for a while. Must be hard on a polygamous species like eclectus. Yeah, I'd definitely recommend having him fly a bunch. If he's not harness trained already, I'd think about training him so you can take him to fly around outside on a leash.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
I dont think there's a time when Wrangler *isnt* horny. I discourage his feeding my person (hand, fingers, knee, nose, forehead...) by placing him back on his cage or on his playstand. Often he will just regurge on the end of the perch instead. We also have "hump bunny"...some days HB gets more of a workout than others, but better the bunny than me :D. As others have said, I dont punish, I just divert and distract. Interestingly, he doesnt try to feed me when we are out walking.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Unfortunarely Lincoln can't fly due to self destructive habits and it's been really cold and windy out the past couple days. And he's not harness trained yet. It's all a work in progress. Might explain why he's been refusing to eat his chop.

Most Reactions