What Do I Really Need

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
FlightSuit are harnesses :) I use flightsuits and Aviator Harnesses, and I love both. However for a bird as tiny as a parrotlet I would go with a FlightSuit. The Aviator doesn't come in a size smaller than the one used for IRNs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about that for BB. Now that he has fledged,and has a full set of sleeves on his arms,AND he is doing quite well in hitting his mark and not crashing,I'd like for him to enjoy/experience the out doors like Amy does. I have seen Juliet's (Tropical) pictures/vids of Rascal and 'Nut (Tiels) with a flight suit on and she says they both get a long very well with them on.
Amy never had the chance to fledge. I was an inexperienced parront at the time and just "assumed" birdies knew how to fly :confused:, obviously NOT!
It wasn't until just a couple nights ago,as I was sitting on the floor with vacuum noozel in hand cleaning under her mansion,that I saw a "shadow" above me and found her about 12 feet away on BB's roof top :eek: I think the action of me cleaning up her messes spooked her..it never did before,but usually when I do clean she is in her house,hanging upside down and giving me the hairy eyeball:12:
Maybe I'm being very foolish about not using a harness :confused: but like I have mentioned,she is FULLY clipped when she goes outside and has never tried to fly, I don't know how she'd feel or react with a harness...might end up not liking her Dad too much.

Jim

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
FlightSuit are harnesses :) I use flightsuits and Aviator Harnesses, and I love both. However for a bird as tiny as a parrotlet I would go with a FlightSuit. The Aviator doesn't come in a size smaller than the one used for IRNs.

Thanks for the clarification [emoji846] I like the diaper aspect of the flight suit!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)

Thanks for the clarification [emoji846] I like the diaper aspect of the flight suit!

Actually, they're making Aviator harnesses in a "mini" size now, suitable for parrotlets. I'm not sure if they're any better or worse than a flight suit though.

https://theparrotuniversity.com/content/aviator-bird-harness

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That's awesome!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What a great idea for a thread!

Good for new parronts, and also has obviously been a good jump-off for experienced ones to re-evaluate and learn from "fresh eyes".

I would just add a note about the home environment.

Bird-proofing. As has been dicussed in previous threads, new owners need to evaluate hazards, especially if a bird is flighted, of course, looking for freak-accident possibilities and such. But I have an idea it's the basics... the stuff "everybody knows"... the day-to-day easy-to-forget/overlook stuff. I try to have a little mental checklist before I let the Rbird loose. Toilet/windows/doors/stove/fans. Candles, toxic plants and dangeous perch-places (like uncovered light-bulbs) are already long gone.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Silver, that is GREAT!!!
INTERACTIVE LEARNING is always the best!

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Also along the lines of learning to keep an eye out for dangers, I suggest the following game to get your family ready for the new arrival :)

http://www.silversageaviaries.com/the-safe-birdy-game/

Love it. However, I live alone except for dogs on the weekends. They would just eat the candy and try to play with the stuffed bird. [emoji23][emoji23] But I will post a checklist by the cage for myself and anyone else who may be in the house, as my boyfriend is here often and I want him to be friends with FB and also my daughter comes to visit when she can.

Most Reactions