What do you do with no diagnosis?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow.

I admire and support you for your dedication to a solution.

Thanks for the update!

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
A long overdue update on Beau and Jimmy..

I ended up losing/leaving my home and settled with the birds somewhere that tested very low for molds. We worked with an avian herbalist on fungal cures, and continued with our Charlotte vet to try to get a definite diagnosis. She ended up referring my guys to another wonderful vet back north where we are living now.

The newest vet found lots of yeast colonizing in their sinuses that apparently didn't respond to the yeast meds we got before, but no fungus. The yeast weakened the birds enough that they kept getting bacterial infections. She worked with me to fine tune their diets even more, and upped their omega 3 supplements to help with their immunity, which made a huge difference. They were put on new antibiotic, an anti yeast medicine, and anti-inflamatory to help drain all that from their systems.

I'm SO proud and so relieved to say, they are 100% as of February! They each had massive molts, and their feathers look so bright and gorgeous. And Beau, who had developed some pretty severe food allergies can now eat all the stuff he used to without pain or bowel problems.

Sharing a before and after of Jimmy Bullet. First photo is her in 2016 on her hatchday, when she was scruffy, scratched all the color off her feathers, plucked and scabby on her back and under her wing. Second photo is this past March, after she had time to get all her new feathers in. Isn't she beautiful? :07:

Thank you all so much for keeping us in your hearts, for all your well wishes and support during our year of hell.
icm_fullxfull.123033526_ijd2b3jx4ls8884wkc0s.png

icm_fullxfull.123033696_7hnhu7qut64o4sw0o8go.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm sorry you had a rotten year with housing, but what wonderful news for Beau and Jimmy!! One Hundred Percent is an amazing milestone thanks to your diligence and some excellent vets. Really appreciate the update, so many stories are open-ended.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Pure dedication. That's amazing!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm so happy that Beau and Jimmy have fully recovered! What an ordeal! For you AND them! Thank you for the update.

Most Reactions

Latest posts