What do you thing about harnessing a plucked conure

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Here's my bare chested little beast. Never wore harness. Not an active plucker, but never gonna have those feathers regrow. So what do you think about a harness on a baldy bean's torso?

wannabeaparrot-albums-odds-ends-picture8526-img-1896.jpg

He lives in Florida, so he likes having his shirt off all the time. See.....
wannabeaparrot-albums-odds-ends-picture7710-image.jpg

Just throwing this one in because I think it so cute and was taken during same time as the others.
wannabeaparrot-albums-odds-ends-picture8530-img-1961.jpg

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What an awesome bird...he's got to be 31? My GCC is a former plucker from her former home, and I plan on giving the aviator a shot. Why not? She's not scared of it at all, so I'm going to start beginning to train with it tomorrow.
Maybe he will like being "dressed"! He would look so cute with a red harness!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I've been curious about pluckers and over-preeners using the aviator harness and taken outside with a lengthy teather. Maybe if they got to regualarly fly around a bit and realize how important their feathers are, they might stop the plucking and over-preening. It might be something to give a go especially if you can handle your bird and he's willing to accept the harness.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I think if you go for something like an aviator where there are less buckles and clips it will be a lot easier on your baldy bird. Cold metal on our bare skin is... uncomfortable, and birds have higher body temps, so, eeek cold!

Grab an aviator and see how he goes with it. Just watch out for any chafting that might happen, that'd be my only concern. But I agree with mtdoramike too, I think if you can get your guy out and appreciating real flight, that'll do him a world of good (an active plucker or not). I wish I could take Merlin out on his harness for the same reason :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I think Pritti has already stopped plucking but his chest is bear from when he used to (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the concern about chafing is good advice too. If he doesn't stay on it too long and he readily accepts the harness, it should be a great.

Pritti is looking awesome for an old man!! :D

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
@Kalidasa. Thanks. Yes, 31 this August (and a one-family bird his whole life :)) Let us know how hit goes with Nikka.

@MtDoraMike. That's the big "if" -- whether he will accept the harness. I'll probably have
to make a human size one to put on so he'll try his, LOL.

@Mayden. If he'll accept it, am concerned about the chafing because I don't want him to feel strange on the bare skin and then start to focus on the skin. Why can't Merlin go out?

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Hi BoomBoom. Yeah-- he's a pretty good-looking geriatric. But u know what they say.... 31 is the new 19 in the Cherry-head world. hahaaaa.

Yes, u r right. He hasn't plucked for about 15 years. There was a traumatic period that was behind it. Feathers just won't grow back now.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Hi BoomBoom. Yeah-- he's a pretty good-looking geriatric. But u know what they say.... 31 is the new 19 in the Cherry-head world. hahaaaa.

Yes, u r right. He hasn't plucked for about 15 years. There was a traumatic period that was behind it. Feathers just won't grow back now.

Ahhhhh poor guy. It's a shame, he must have been plucking for years to cause his feathers not to come back in.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

@MtDoraMike. Yes, it started with a move to a new home and totally new work schedules where instead of him having someone around working from home most of the time, he was alone during work hours. It went on for about 2 years-ish. And when we tried the collars twice, he grew back in and then just plucked again when collars were off. He looks perfect to me and seems okay with it. His bald belly is so smooth and warm. So he's soft, smooth and warm all over now.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
You could look into getting him a hoodie to wear under the harness.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I honestly don't see why not!

I didn't have to train Charlie to wear a harness, although I probably should have! Someone did mention about buying the next size up harness if you have a bird who has trouble putting their head through the loop.

I have three different harnesses, two are Feather Tethers (one red with plastic black clips, one green with metal clasps) and one Aviator. The green Feather Feather is easiest for me to use with Charlie, in ease of getting it on and off... although I prefer the Aviator.

I'll probably be training a bird to wear a harness soon enough! But first, training and earning the birds trust!

Most Reactions

Latest posts