what do you think about this food!?

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
i have no experience with this food, but my thoughts about it, from reading the list of ingredients, etc, on the lafeber's website, are:

A Couple Of Concerns: i) Macaws and cockatoos have rather different nutritional requirements, especially when it comes to fat and Vitamin D3 requirements. Why is the macaw pellet the same as the cockatoo pellet?!? ii) The list of ingredients is short, but the list of added vitamins and supplements is long. I'm not sure if adding vitamin powder supplements to a starch and protein base is the best way to go. Personally, I'd like to see a much longer list of ingredients including plenty of vegetables and fruits in addition to a starch and protein base, because there are a LOT of beneficial micronutrients from a wide variety of foods that just can't be added to a formula as a powder from a plastic bag.

Overall, I think this food will be well worth trying.

One thing for you to note, is that this pellet is not extruded, so its texture is likely to be quite crumbly. Your scarlet macaw and you will have to decide whether this suits the two of you in terms of beak feel, messiness and wastage.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My vet is one of their nutritional consultants. I already know she would say it was a good diet for your bird.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I would advise you to try Zupreme pellets for your Macaw or Pretty boy pellets. both have the nutrition that Macaws need for their everyday diet. Please also keep in mind that Macaws also need fresh fruit and veggies. Thanks Joe

cd4565

Jun 20, 2009
New York
Parrots
"Bell" tiel-"JJ" African Red Belly-"Jackson" Mealy Zon-"Huey" GWM
I use the Pretty Bird high energy bird food it is formulated especially for macaws or black palm 2's so it has a little more fat in it. Like jjones said it will provide everything your bird needs if you can only feed the food for some reason but always try to give your birds a wide variety in their diet. Not trying to sell you on it just adding my 2 cents for what it's worth.

OP
R

RyCockatoo

Feb 27, 2012
Liberal KS
Parrots
1 Scarlet Macaw named Chloe
I do still feed fruits and veggies but I am trying to wean her off of seeds which is all she really ate before hand. We don't have any stores here that sell the pellets just seed mixes so I picked this one up from PETCO while I was out of town.

cd4565

Jun 20, 2009
New York
Parrots
"Bell" tiel-"JJ" African Red Belly-"Jackson" Mealy Zon-"Huey" GWM
try to order your birds food online if there are no stores close by i do because it's cheaper for me that way.

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
If you are trying to wean her off seeds, you could also try nutri-berries or avi-cakes. They have seeds and pellets and are usually welll accepted. Every bird is different when it comes to pellet preferences. The Lafaeber's may not have enough fat for a Macaw, but if you give some nuts or seeds(moderation), that can make up for that. I've had birds who love the non-extruded pellets, and some who hated them. The most important thing is to find a pellet that your bird will accept, and is most nutritionally complete. I wouldn't buy large amounts of a certain kind until you are sure it will be accepted.

Most Reactions