Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I was on Instagram and saw a post with a conure in a bubble backpack, and obviously, it caught my attention. I thought it might be interesting to try out with Maddox when I get back home. I have always wanted to take him outside for some exploring but haven't because I decided to keep him unclipped and don't want him to fly away. What do y'all think? Is it even advisable to take conures outside? Would this be too stressful? I included a pic for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 41

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Not a fan. They look mike theyll overheat very quickly compared to a screened canvas backpack.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had a canvas front pack for my Quaker and she loved it. I’d also be worried about those bubble packs overheating in summer.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Harness training you parrot is sooooo worth it. The training will bring you closer to your bird, and he will LOVE it once he is comfy with it and goes outside. Very worth it.

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Turquoise Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure
Moon Cheek -- Green Cheek Conure
Can someone link to a canvas front pack? I'm actually interested in this because I intend to travel (fly) with Elvira at some point and I want to be able to use something that's not as bulky as the square wire travel cage that I can actually take a part and pack in my suitcase as a cage that I can set up at the location I'm staying (for several days at the most).
Thanks!
Tom

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I have also thought about that. I guess I'm worried that he will hate it. Have you had any success with a harness?
my cockatiel HATES the harness until we get outside. though i don't enjoy using it a whole lot as we have had several incidents with the wild birds. robins swooping him and scratching my head, seeing two birds (i believe they were chickadees? idk, i don't remember the markings) spiraling out of a spruce while locked in combat, hitting the ground, and flying scary close above us, seeing an eagle scoping us out, and spotting an owl watching us. so ALWAYS be alert of territorial birds and birds of prey. also be mindful of diseases! however, if you're vigilant, cautious, and smart, with the right training, you'll be golden.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
FOr back pack type ones, Pak-O-Bird is head and shoulders the very best there is. I have one as do many of the members on here. Spendy but full of superior features. It is a lifetime purchase, meaning it will last your lifetime (and likely the life of your parrot).

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
FOr back pack type ones, Pak-O-Bird is head and shoulders the very best there is. I have one as do many of the members on here. Spendy but full of superior features. It is a lifetime purchase, meaning it will last your lifetime (and likely the life of your parrot).
Thanks so much! I actually just ordered one, looking forward to taking Maddox out!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I second Pak-O-Bird :)

It's sturdy enough my chewer won't ever be able to make holes!

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I was on Instagram and saw a post with a conure in a bubble backpack, and obviously, it caught my attention. I thought it might be interesting to try out with Maddox when I get back home. I have always wanted to take him outside for some exploring but haven't because I decided to keep him unclipped and don't want him to fly away. What do y'all think? Is it even advisable to take conures outside? Would this be too stressful? I included a pic for reference.
This is the bird backpack I have, I got it off amazon, and the best part about it, is it’s 1) bigger in person, and 2) your able to provide your bird shade by buttoning down the flaps. The only con about bird backpacks is the water usually spills everywhere, so make sure your bird isn’t out for a long period of time! Harness training would also be a good idea.

Attachments

• 69324B9F-FDBF-4A2F-A36C-9E8B50FB35C4.jpeg
    69324B9F-FDBF-4A2F-A36C-9E8B50FB35C4.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 031289FE-0AF9-453E-B6DE-BD90DDC38A13.jpeg
    031289FE-0AF9-453E-B6DE-BD90DDC38A13.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 35

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
Thank you for this tip! This particular brand with all the great reviews didn't come up in my search for soft bird carriers. Awesome! I'll include the link here just in case anyone else is interested because for some reason it doesn't come up without some scrolling when you do a search for it:
Pak-O-Bird Starter Link

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have a bubble backpack and take Ona (GCC) out in it very often on our dog walks. She loves it! I have a small fan that I use with it to help with airflow. I’ve had no issues and she really gets excited to go to the park with us. We are working on harness training as well but I enjoy having the backpack as an option.

Elviraion

Oct 21, 2022
GA
Parrots
I have a bubble backpack and take Ona (GCC) out in it very often on our dog walks. She loves it! I have a small fan that I use with it to help with airflow. I’ve had no issues and she really gets excited to go to the park with us. We are working on harness training as well but I enjoy having the backpack as an option.
How do you use the small fan with the backpack to help with airflow?

TheMan

Oct 29, 2022
Parrots
16 year old Meyers Parrot
It may be too stressful depending on the bird especially if they never go outside but it may be an exciting experience for them. I’d try a harness but if they don’t like the harness then the back pack works well. I have one but you can’t take them outside when it’s too hot because they will over heat because of the plastic. If you do get it and take him out on a warm day, make sure to have a fan in it to cool them down.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I had a canvas front pack for my Quaker and she loved it. I’d also be worried about those bubble packs overheating in summer.
Where did you find front pack for a parrot?!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Even if you don't buy their backpack, they make some good points about the different backpack styles in their reviews.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How do you use the small fan with the backpack to help with airflow?
It came with it. I got it on Amazon. The backpack has a mesh side pocket the small fan fits into. The fan charges with USB.

Most Reactions

Latest posts