What Do You Think??

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I think cats and dogs seem to have dreams when they sleep. Do you think Parrots dream? Guess there is no true way of knowing unless they tell us. :blue2::whiteblue:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Birds have REM sleep just as we do, though often in much shorter bursts. Also migratory birds (not really any of our parrots) engage in regular unihemispheric sleep - half of their brain could be awake while the other half is sleeping. Though I am doubtul as to whether there could be unihemispheric REM sleep as during these periods there is no paralysis.

So... yes, birds do dream. What about - you'd have to ask them; you've got a grey, she might be able to tell you! :eek:)

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good reply. I had been thinking about this last night but had no idea it was possible. Could the unihemispheric sleep be because they are a prey and always on the alert for danger?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
That's one idea, but it seems to be for migration. There hemispheres take turns driving as the bird flies continuously for sometimes VERY long periods of time.

Next time you see a bird flying a long distance migration you can point it out to all your friends that it is likely half asleep!

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
Good reply. I had been thinking about this last night but had no idea it was possible. Could the unihemispheric sleep be because they are a prey and always on the alert for danger?

That is, precisely, what scientists think because most bird species do it all the time and all have the ability. As a matter of fact, they found out that, when birds sleep in a flock structure, the ones in the middle sleep with both hemispheres while the ones at the 'edges' use only one. They are acting as sentinels, keeping watch for the other birds who are resting more completely. Cool, ain't it? There is a very good study on this done at the Department of Life Sciences of Indiana State University. It's called "Half-awake to the risk of predation".

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am sure birds do dream :whiteblue:
My explanation is plain and simple

Mishka sleeps in her smaller cage in my bedroom.
Often at night, she makes strange sounds that last for a second or two.
Sounds quite strange and peculiar....
Almost the same as when watching a dog, when they have a dream.
Must be dreaming about what her next treat will be
Cheers for now !!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts