What does it mean when she does this?

Luchador

May 16, 2013
Metro D.C. area
Parrots
Spinnaker (Jenday conure)
Some sort of affection display. When Spinnaker is on my finger she/he will puff up, open her beak and nod her head and upper body in jerky motions.:confused:

Looks sort of odd. This is usually before and/or after getting scratched and petted.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
It sounds like she is trying to regurgitate on you. It means she loves you and may like you as a mate. If you do want to encourage this behavior, just ignore the regurgs. You can also try distracting her with a trick, a new room or a toy. Petting under the wings, back or belly can also stimulate sexual responses in your bird.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Some sort of affection display. When Spinnaker is on my finger she/he will puff up, open her beak and nod her head and upper body in jerky motions.:confused:

Looks sort of odd. This is usually before and/or after getting scratched and petted.

Sounds like regurgitation to me! It is a sign of affection because she sees you as her mate! We tend to try not to encourage this behaviour, so no wing stroking, near their vent etc. It's sexually stimulating and can cause them to be aggressive towards others because they see you as their mate, as something to fiercly protect! But it still happens even when you try everything else!

Regurgitation is when they bring up food to feed their mates, but not all birds end up actually bringing up food, just go through the motions. Merlin brings up food for me, but not for Andrew (not for lack of trying with him though).

But, I'm not 100%. Just sounds like it to me because of the head motions you described :)

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Just make sure she/he dosn't do it well your mouth is open and you'll be all set lol.

Most Reactions