What does it mean when Your bird flaps their wings in place?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Unfortunately the clipping job from the breeder was botched as well. Would it be beneficial to get them re-clipped by the vet just so they regrow correctly and he has a better flying experience in the future?

Well based on my experience, my inclincation would be, probably not.

In my case, each of the times she broke a feather, the vet did a bit more of a clipping so it got evened-out a bit more each time. However as the feathers grow back there are still times when the individual feathers are vulnerable. IF she would've not broken more feathers, she would have had her wings back sooner.

You might consult with your Avian Vet - maybe send them a pic of your bird's wings - and ask whether They recommend a further clip to even-it-out.

Although again, my inclination would be, if the clip is already a problem, TRY to let is grow out naturally if possible.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I will add my perspective-in-general on clipping to this thread.

Laurasea has given links to a lot of info regarding what is best for the bird. It is valuable info. I can read it over and despair. But really those who care about their birds enough to even ask the questions, are better than many owners. And there can be Multiple Levels of, "What is Best for the Bird?"

So. I got my budgies before my Sunny. They were clipped, and they were teeny tiny babies. Barely old enough to have been in the store. After a few months, the budgies' wings grew in and they Started to fly. (They were still young enough that this may have counted as fledging.) At that time, my house was in NO WAY birdsafe at all. I took the budgies to a very trustworthy place and got them clipped. Conservatively, and well. They weren't too upset, as they had not really been flying much at that point.

After another month or so, their wings grew back and they started flying again. My house was a Little more safe by then, but Jefferson-budgie started refusing to go back in his cage. AND i injured my back. So back they went for another clip.

Well, this time Jefferson knew what was going on. I tried to blame it on "those mean people" at the store, but, he knew better! He spent two days being Depressed AT me, and then decided he was just gonna fly anyway, clip or no-clip. (He began jump-gliding, and just kept at it persistently until he was flying even withOut his full wings.)

So. At that point I pretty much resolved not to clip them anymore. The house is (more-or-less) birdsafe; I can block-off unsafe areas. Also, I live in a New England Double-Decker, with the common feature of "airlock" doors. That is, an outer door into a tiny hallway, and then an inner door. So when the budgies refuse to return to their cage - it's their choice. I can leave the house with them out. I prefer not to do that, but, I can. IF i had not been able to manage this, I would have unfortunately felt it necessary to keep them clipped for their safety.

Likewise. My Sunny still does not have All her wingfeathers back. (I think she is still missing two on each side.) But she is flying. IF IF once she has them all back, if she resists return-to-cage when needed, then I will need to clip her. She is Not as cautious as the budgies. She is in far more danger un-supervised, than they are, and it would break my heart far more to lose her.

Additionally, as mentioned, a few months after getting the birdies, i injured my back. At the time, I was told I was gonna need back surgery. Thankfully, and miraculously --(that is, specifically following prayed-over at church!)-- the surgical-need resolved withOut surgery. However, if it had not, I certainly would have maintained their clips for as long as needed until I would have fully recovered.

BECAUSE, at that point, the only Safe choices would have been:

Live INSIDE your cages only, with UN-clipped wings but No freedom,, OR have freedom to exit the cages and move around, and even GLIDE, but, not to fly.

In my opinion, when Those are the choices, for the birds' safety and/or for the ability of a Loving, Caring owner to keep the bird, Then it is Better to Clip. Whether the un-safety is due to the owner's physical disability, or a non-bird-safe home, or a bird that persistently refuses to return to its cage when needed for safety. IF those are the choices, then, in my opinion it is better to clip the wings.

Clipping should Always be Conservative, allowing a bird to glide-down safely, and Never one-sided as it will cause crashing and disorientation to the bird.

Also, there are times when a bird might need to be clipped on a One-Time basis to enable training or socializing of the bird. If this is done well it can be a good thing.

Beyond that, I am in favor of Not Clipping if at all possible.

Last edited:

Most Reactions