What does this mean?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
I just read this article about how blue throated macaws are now illegal to transport across state lines, and the link at the end said hyacinths and even Scarlets are being considered for addition to the endangered species act. As somebody who has found a very reputable breeder of only hyacinths in another state, does this mean I need a permit, or are the days of companion macaws looking grim?
?Endangered? Label Restricts Sales of Blue-Throated Macaw

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
What state do you live in, and in what state does the breeder live? This new law does not take effect until November 4th, so you have at least until then to get a bird without worrying about it.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
That is the stupidest law I've seen in a long time. The article speaks for itself.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
PetoftheDay, I won't say where I live or where the breeder is, for safety reasons, but it is a cross country journey and I am in no way ready for a macaw yet. This law really doesn't protect the birds, if anything it hinders breeders and discourages them from helping the species by captive breeding, whether it be for pets or scientific reasons.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The golden conures are already effected by this law, and have been for years....

If I had the money and space for a pair of blue throated macaws, I could probably become rich! LOL But alas, I don't.

In short, I don't agree with it... but it means that you can't transport these birds unless you have a permit to transport them across state lines. This means that it'll be much more difficult for breeders to get new blood into their breeding stock. Rather than helping, it is harming breeders.

Most Reactions

Latest posts