what does your bird smell like?

Kissed82

Dec 28, 2013
Denver -ish
Parrots
Nero-B&G Macaw-hatch 12/20/11-DNA male
Ocha-G Quaker-7yo- Female
Razzbin-Jenday Conure- hatch 1/21/13- ?
My 5 year old son LOVES to smell our birds. He says the Macaw is "delicious smelling and I could smell him all day. Mom can you rub him on my pillow so I can smell him when I sleep" then he says the conure is "Apple fluff smell" and the Quaker " smells bad, cause she bites me when I try to sniff her"

Kids are too funny...

I do catch a whiff here and there when I'm out of the house.... My clothes totally smell like macaw..... New line of perfume maybe? Hehehehe

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
My 5 year old son LOVES to smell our birds. He says the Macaw is "delicious smelling and I could smell him all day. Mom can you rub him on my pillow so I can smell him when I sleep" then he says the conure is "Apple fluff smell" and the Quaker " smells bad, cause she bites me when I try to sniff her"

Kids are too funny...

I do catch a whiff here and there when I'm out of the house.... My clothes totally smell like macaw..... New line of perfume maybe? Hehehehe

Your son sounds adorable!

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
haha!! this thread is so crazy!lol!!! ive never laughed so hard :D
yeah, i smell my bird too!! you wont believe this- he smells like an apple gone bad, and his poop. i DO give him baths frequently, i dont know why he still wants to be like that lol! but i still like it, cause his poop smells good :p

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
We are all a bunch of bird sniffers around here. Careful....we might start a new trend....I can see us sneaking around to smell birds.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Oh my gosh! I love this thread!

I always tell my friends about how my birds smell and they always give me strange looks. LOL. But they do, they smell wonderful.

There is nothing sweeter in the world than burying your nose into a mountain of feathers.

My cockatiel, Peaches, smells like maple syrup. Especially when she is wet.

My sun conure, Skittles, smells like clean laundry - but a lot of that is probably due to him rolling around in it all the time.

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
I LOVE the way my birds smell! Especially on a nice day when the windows are open - they smell so fresh and clean, but I cant put my finger on it.

Bird sniffers unite!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
You are not alone! I love smelling my bird too. He tends to smell like his food but in general, his breath smells like a new born puppy's breath (it smells good before they start eating solid food). And then under his wings, it smells like maple syrup, nuts and the faintest smell of curry hahaha! He's always smelled this way since he was 2 months old, but I love it.

Last edited:

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Muffin smells like corn. I should call him a corn muffin!!

I love the way he smells. If only humans smelled so nice.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Today mt CAG totally smelled like passiflora.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I love this thread
My nanday smells kinda fruity and musty, my dove smells dusty, and my finches smell like " bird". I guess I would say dusty and kinda like bird seed :). My brand new brotogeris parakeet smells kinda sweet and musty. I just picked him up today and he's hanging out in the hood of my sweatshirt, so I'm getting a good whiff lol.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
LOL...I had no idea so many other people did this! When I hold Chipper, I often nuzzle my face on her back and I can't help but see out of curiosity what she smells like. I tell her she smells like birdie! I don't know exactly how to describe what "birdie" smells like. It's not a bad smell. Maybe kind of a slight oily smell? From the oil she puts on her feathers from her preen gland. It's a lot stronger after she takes a bath and her feathers are still wet. Someone said earlier that their bird smelled kind of like maple syrup, and I guess that would be the closest description I could come up with.

By the way, the really funny thing is that Chipper gets really mad if you touch her back (she turns around with her beak open!), but she will let me rub my face on her back and doesn't care.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird smells like chocolate candy wrappers.
Somewhere there's a thread or two on this but I couldn't it find it/them...

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Ducky's smell is addicting. I always love to bury my nose into his feathers. Kermit's smell is different. I can't really explain it, but it's not like Ducky's. Bluebell won't let me smell her, so I don't really know what budgies smell like.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy took a shower with me just last night. I too nuzzle my nose on her back and give a sniff or two. I can't really describe it but it is a sweet aroma :)

I haven't given a whiff of BB yet,after his baths...he is due for one today,and I'll sniff away at him lol.

Jim

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh my goodness. I am dying as I'm reading this. :)
Levi is my first parrot and I admit I can't get enough of his smell. Hahaha :D
I too was wondering if all birds had such a desirable calming scent to them like he does. Or is it just him & I got extremely lucky ... lol

Thank you so much for posing this question. Inquiry minds really did want to know. Ha!

Most Reactions