what does your bird smell like?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
well I never really pinpointed Rio's smell. He only really had a smell when his oil gland came into action, he was definitely a stinky birb then, although I loved his smell

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
I know this is an older thread but wanted to chime in.

Today we added a new toy to her cage, hung a new wall covering near her play stand, and she had raw coconut for the first time. You could tell she was really excited with all the extra attention today. It was even warm enough to open one window and air out the house a little.

Shortly after we opened the window, Arika started scenting again. If we didn't know better, we would have thought she opened a flower shop in her room, it was that fragrant.
She's done this many times before and it usually happens when we have music on, dancing with her, really giving her some extra attention that her scent will come alive.
The open window and fresh air seemed to be the final trigger.

Our girl has a lovely natural perfume :)

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika (the flower girl)

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Nike smells good but I have to stick my nose into her feathers to smell her. Not so when she's wet....wet dog comes to mind.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty smells like CHristmas cookies when he is in good mood, like when he is getting scratched. Otherwise no smell at all.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
To me, my Yoda smells like home and warm bread. My husband says he smells like me. :D

When he's wet, we both agree Yoda smells like popcorn.

I love nuzzling him with my nose and smelling his homey warm happy smell.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird smells like chocolate-bar wrappers. Particularly, the paper wrappers on Kit-Kat bars.
Especially up under his wings.

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
Sunny smells like oatmeal, but with a fair drizzle of honey. Kind of sweet, but oat-y :p

That's only sometimes. The rest of the time she smells like a dusty library, lol. She hates baths.

Most Reactions