What exactly is a Conure

a_osborne

Feb 17, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Eva
Lutino Indian Ringneck - Adrian
Blue head pionus - Milo
They are defined as a Central and South American parakeet.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
All conures are parakeets, but not all parakeets are conures.

A parakeet can be anything from budgies and "grass parakeets" (bourkes, turquoisines, red rumps, scarlet chested keets), to rosellas, ringneck parakeets (psittacula) and even conures (aratinga, pyrrhura, nandayus, cyanoliseus, enicognathus, etc).

It's like saying that all macaws are parrots, but not all parrots are macaws.

Except for the Carolina Conure (most commonly called a Carolina Parakeet), parakeet is a general term used in the scientific community to define any small parrot with a long tapering tail.

This is not to be confused with budgies (aka budgerigar) that are often called "parakeets" in pet stores.

Conure is the term that is more readily used in the pet and aviculturist's community.

Are Conures their own type or are they a type of parakeet?
The correct answer would be "both".

Conures are also closely related to macaws. Aratinga essentially means "little macaw", as some of the macaw species are Ara.

Although conures are somewhat close to amazons as well, we have not discovered how closely related.

When I talk about relation, I'm talking about whether or not the two species can hybridize.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Are Conures their own type or are they a type of parakeet?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Both. A parakeet is a term for medium to small parrots. A budgie would be a parakeet. Conure is just a term used for the new world parakeets in this classification. There does seem to be a connection with macaws and conures. I guess you could say they are a parakeet form of a macaw. I do not know of any hybridization of the two. But I heard rumors that there are cases of sun and hahns Macaws producing hybrids.

Most Reactions

Latest posts