What happened to her beak?

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I left home for about 2 hours and my budgies beak looks dented or cracked, and it has some dark/small red spot underneath this weird looking crack. I took some photos of me holding her.

These are the best photos I could get.

What do I do?

Attachments

• 764F5E09-9210-4DE4-961B-C0D243C3FF84.jpeg
    764F5E09-9210-4DE4-961B-C0D243C3FF84.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 32D3AD01-F942-4881-82DC-6768EF7E8582.jpeg
    32D3AD01-F942-4881-82DC-6768EF7E8582.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 52

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Looks like she somehow injured it, I’ve never dealt with a minor beak injury before.
I guess going to an Avian vet would be a good idea as beak injuries can be painful.
How is she acting? Eating normally?

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
Looks like she somehow injured it, I’ve never dealt with a minor beak injury before.
I guess going to an Avian vet would be a good idea as beak injuries can be painful.
How is she acting? Eating normally?
oof, I haven't dealt with this before either. It's scary but thankfully she's not bleeding fresh blood, even though I can see her wound is still open.

I do have both of my budgies welness check appointment scheduled for May 3rd. Its the soonest they can be seen

I think I might be able to take my yellow one to the VET ER but I dont think the Avian vets in, just regular vets. Either way I'll call tomorrow and if the AV is there on Sunday, I'll take her in.

I'm a bit relieved because she's eating normal, cleaning herself, playing and exploring like usual. I just re-arranged and cleaned their cage and she/my other budgie seem happy with the placement.

You think she'll be okay to hold up til 3 days from now?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
oof, I haven't dealt with this before either. It's scary but thankfully she's not bleeding fresh blood, even though I can see her wound is still open.

I do have both of my budgies welness check appointment scheduled for May 3rd. Its the soonest they can be seen

I think I might be able to take my yellow one to the VET ER but I dont think the Avian vets in, just regular vets. Either way I'll call tomorrow and if the AV is there on Sunday, I'll take her in.

I'm a bit relieved because she's eating normal, cleaning herself, playing and exploring like usual. I just re-arranged and cleaned their cage and she/my other budgie seem happy with the placement.

I think she should be good, as long as she’s acting normal.
Though, if all that can see her for emergency is a dog/cat vet I would wait until the appointment you have scheduled, since it’s an Avian vet, though only if she’s acting good.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I think she'll be fine. If she were in distress she wouldn't be behaving and eating normally but keep an eye on the interactions between your budgies. The wound almost looks like a bite mark. Is the other budgie a female, too?

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I think she'll be fine. If she were in distress she wouldn't be behaving and eating normally but keep an eye on the interactions between your budgies. The wound almost looks like a bite mark. Is the other budgie a female, too?
I think you're right too because shes doing really well. My other budgie is also female. They got a long soooo well the first two weeks together. Now it seems like theyre constantly fighting over food, perch spots. But then theyll have a period through the day where they snuggle up so affectionately, feed eachother, and play but then go back to fighting later.

They share but sometimes theyre just not in the mood for it. Mostl the older one had an issue with sharing

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think you're right too because shes doing really well. My other budgie is also female. They got a long soooo well the first two weeks together. Now it seems like theyre constantly fighting over food, perch spots. But then theyll have a period through the day where they snuggle up so affectionately, feed eachother, and play but then go back to fighting later.

They share but sometimes theyre just not in the mood for it. Mostl the older one had an issue with sharing
It sounds like they got into a squabble and the other one bit her beak! Not unusual with female budgies. How big is their cage?

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
It sounds like they got into a squabble and the other one bit her beak! Not unusual with female budgies. How big is their cage?
I dont know the cage dimensions but i took some photos. 2 food bowls, one water bowl.

Attachments

• CB216D7F-E011-4684-85AA-2F5CD3562D16.jpeg
    CB216D7F-E011-4684-85AA-2F5CD3562D16.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 31
  • A8465A87-AC71-4FBF-944E-79F422EFB0EC.jpeg
    A8465A87-AC71-4FBF-944E-79F422EFB0EC.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 29
  • F3CC7C19-7FE9-4963-B16E-3A76EDD8FAD3.jpeg
    F3CC7C19-7FE9-4963-B16E-3A76EDD8FAD3.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 31

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I looks too small for two female budgies to co-exist without squabbling and injuring each other. Please get out a tape measure. Their shared cage should be about 32x18x20 or close to that. If you can't afford a new one (I totally understand) try looking for a used cage somewhere online that will give each girl enough room to claim her "own space". You need to have two sets of food and water bowls, two swings, and enough toys to entertain both separately. Girl birds are winderful- my precious budgie Rocky is a girl bird- but they aren't as easy going as the boys are. They can be very bossy and the boys generally let them be the boss, but two bosses are tough in a small space!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I looks too small for two female budgies to co-exist without squabbling and injuring each other. Please get out a tape measure. Their shared cage should be about 32x18x20 or close to that. If you can't afford a new one (I totally understand) try looking for a used cage somewhere online that will give each girl enough room to claim her "own space". You need to have two sets of food and water bowls, two swings, and enough toys to entertain both separately. Girl birds are winderful- my precious budgie Rocky is a girl bird- but they aren't as easy going as the boys are. They can be very bossy and the boys generally let them be the boss, but two bosses are tough in a small space!
Your blue opaline girl looks like my Rocky! Here's our precious girl bird, Rocky, sitting in my leg as my husband and I recover from Covid in a hotel room that doesn't take birds- we are now bonafide Budgie Smugglers! We had to sneak Rocky in under cover of darkness! Thank God she's pretty quiet and travels really well. My floors are being replaced in my house so we had to leave for a week and our Rocky (aka "Baby Bird" ) goes everywhere with us!

Attachments

• IMG_20230420_123034796.jpg
    IMG_20230420_123034796.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 23

Most Reactions