What hilarious noises have your birds picked up?

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
What hilarious or weird noises have your birds picked up?

Recently I picked up a squeak toy bat for Sydney since he LOVES the squeak noise. Well, I made the mistake of squeaking it around my cockatiel, who now constantly makes the same noise. All the time now, it's that squeak noise, from dawn till dusk. I didn't realize what she was doing at first, thought she might be playing or talking to her toys, but she's just sitting there, sometimes hanging on the front of the cage just...squeaking.

My Grey, Gonzo, has also picked up a child's scream which is terrifying! I live across from a church/catholic school that has recess outside in the parking lot, so he hears children in the afternoon. Scared the heck out of me! It's like I've got a little girl in my living room! Thank god I know my neighbors so nobody calls the police thinking there's a child in danger!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Kyo makes this awesome wet fart noise... No idea who taught her that... Hehe

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Foo watches my husband play video games, so when she is excited and wants to play she says "Pew Pew Pew"

She can also sneeze and cough.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Kyo makes this awesome wet fart noise... No idea who taught her that... Hehe

My Grey will burp when you drink something or after you burp, surprisingly he didn't pick it up from me or my boyfriend, but his previous and only owner!

Hoping he doesn't pick up too many bad things!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
My Grey does a PERFECT imitation of my Galah's alarm scream (and if you've never heard it, it's shrill enough to peel paint!). Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often and it's infrequent enough that it's actually pretty funny, never failing to make us jump out of our skin! He also does a perfect imitation of the car lock (one beep for locking; two beeps for unlocking), and he does them in context: Beep-beep for leaving; beep to remind you to lock your car when arriving home (pretty helpful, actually LOL).

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Love this!
Henry talks teil, every time Ethyl chirps, Henry mimics back. Ethyl is far more chatty now we have Henry!
There's a construction site behind our house at the moment. Lots of reverse beeping, but not all that loud. I think Henry may think it's a parrot call? Because he matches the beeping nice and Loud - to cover the distance:31::rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Love this!
Henry talks teil, every time Ethyl chirps, Henry mimics back. Ethyl is far more chatty now we have Henry!
There's a construction site behind our house at the moment. Lots of reverse beeping, but not all that loud. I think Henry may think it's a parrot call? Because he matches the beeping nice and Loud - to cover the distance:31::rolleyes:

Hah! Gonzo also does an excellent imitation of my microwave beeps. Has fooled me a few times making me go all the way into the kitchen. His other beep is that of a smoke detector's low battery. Took me a while to figure out that one too.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Raven the Pionus is the funny one around here... He rarely ever uses his "normal" calls (unless to complain cause he hates baths, or bicker at Griffin, or protest something he doesn't want to do). Otherwise, if he's not 'complaining' he ONLY uses mimicked noises.

He has several funny things, but the top ones are: One time after a bad cold I had where I couldn't stop coughing, he picked up the cough. His all time FAVORITE sound to this day. He can go on with this one for quite some time!

He loves to say "hi" in different voices, kind of like a little kid. He'll say it normal, high pitched, low pitched, extra long and sing-songy ... but the funniest one is the super gravelly, low, and long drawn out one that he learned during when I had laryngitis! I encourage it by mimicking back and forth with him in all these voices, and laugh, so he knows that I love when he does it. The laryngitis one cracks me up still. Funny, I'm rarely sick, but both times that I was, was when he picked up his favorites lol.

One more of the funniest things is when he coughs a few times high pitched, followed by the word "vegetable, vegetable!" It is usually accompanied by a threatening posture. That is his way of saying get out of here! He also says vegetable when he sees his fresh foods coming. To him, the word "vegetable" is a synonym LOL!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi came to us making a honking noise like a goose and a hoot like an owl. No clue how he picked up either noise. He actually has different "inflections" of those noises and if you spend enough time around him, you can tell a "happy" honk from an "angry" honk and a "what's this" hoot from a "I've been caught" hoot.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo does perfect squeaky toy imitations and parakeet sounds. All learned from where she was housed waiting adoption.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Millie hasn't imitated many noises but she does have an array to noises she makes. When I usually get home from work, I get Hello but if I am not quick even replying I get a roar. So I will roar back and then she repeats getting louder each time. This can goes on for 10 mins or more. It is quite hilarious. She has also a couple of times done a burping noise.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
You all have me cracking up and are making me jealous. Buddy's most inconvenient sound is laughing. He will laugh at the most inappropriate or inconvenient time. Venus doesn't speak at all, but she "beep, beep"'s all the time. Anansi, commented it sounded like she was at a club and he was waiting for the bass to drop. That is so true we have been laughing ever since!!!

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
You all have me cracking up and are making me jealous. Buddy's most inconvenient sound is laughing. He will laugh at the most inappropriate or inconvenient time. Venus doesn't speak at all, but she "beep, beep"'s all the time. Anansi, commented it sounded like she was at a club and he was waiting for the bass to drop. That is so true we have been laughing ever since!!!
Oh gosh! Sydney does this too, he only laughs after he's bitten me, or more recently when he started to fly and attack me if I had Gonzo, he'll laugh hysterically.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo does perfect squeaky toy imitations and parakeet sounds. All learned from where she was housed waiting adoption.

Meant to add, I use a squeaky toy as a flock call with her, and if someone is in a different room, they can't tell which is whom!
She is also starting to try to copy my whistling, but the best she gets is an asthmatic wheeze! But, she so studies me and is doing a very animated movements, following me!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm loving this thread! We don't seem to have "fun" threads as often these days for some reason. Thanks for posting it :).

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
This is so cute!
I had a Senegal who was the king of odd noises! Lol He would mostly Meow, say "here kitty kitty" in a creepy maniacal voice! Cough laugh and he sounded like he was a smoker! The gravely choking cough! (his first owner smoked) And sometimes he would make a sound of a phone being dialed then he would say" hello?" he whispered a lot so now Lilo whispers. Then sometimes Lilo will go under the dresser and laugh and mumble all kinds of things! They are so entertaining!

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
Echo my TAG has so many noises he has picked up from the microwave to a door closing. But the squeak my garbage closet door makes cracks my up every time. It always sounds like I opened the door twice.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
My personal favorite:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP978HOmtxY"]Willow The Cockatoo Barking Like a Dog - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's the latest from Gonzo, he's now mocking Sydney's screams. Warning, loud Amazon yells. Also please ignore my dirty fishtank.
[ame="https://youtu.be/BMDmyUczxS8"]Gonzo mocking Sydney - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love hearing Greys. They're speech and sounds are so amazing!

Tonight I was laughing at Raven. He's the only bird I've ever had who will mimic a noise or word immediately after I say it. That's probably a sign that he can become a fairly talented talker if I really worked with him. I love when he says "what are you doing" it sounds hilarious the way he says it. The time when it's hard to get him to talk is when he knows he's being recorded.

Most Reactions