ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Awesome, can I use this as an excuse if i get caught by my GF?

TOTALLY, if I am obliged to wear one... anyone should! :p

I having nothing useful to add to this thread; I'm just in the corner, giggling immaturely..my mind is still that of a 16 y.o., apparently!

No worries, he had me almost choking on my tea with "too many vulnerable tidbits waving about".
(gottah love your mods, right? ;) )

Last edited:

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I think we will need pics to determine the correct answer for you. ;)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think I found the ultimate bird shirt for a man or a woman:

shopping

Now getting your bird to approach you while wearing this shirt is a whole other story:D

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I think I found the ultimate bird shirt for a man or a woman:

shopping

Now getting your bird to approach you while wearing this shirt is a whole other story:D
Much less fun than the other one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Macaws have been known to pinch nipples... and motorboating isn't necessarily out of the ordinary... If the head fits...

OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Macaws have been known to pinch nipples... and motorboating isn't necessarily out of the ordinary... If the head fits...

Oh great ... I already noticed the first part, now you have me really worried! :p

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
What did I just read though? Definitely brightened my day.
Despite being one with breast lumps I've never actually given a thought to the implications of having them whilst handling larger, potentially nippy birds.

OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
Good thinking but...

The outward facing parrot can still bend over and chomp down on finger/hand/wrist/ forearm if so inclined...
(and that is what the "bring the bird in close to your body" was to prevent from happening )

and ... there is the extra handicap: macaws (at least this one, but like I read it its a general macaw-thing) have a "touchy butt-end".
So away facing bird means that the (oversized) tailend is just waiting to get bumped by the moving human perch.

The number one reason for Sunny to lash out out is.... you guessed it already: "Something touched my tail, so now I bite you to defend myself !"

I will just have to face the fact that I will be unlucky one of those days...
(hmmm, compared to that the whole "macaw-motorboating" sounds positively appealing)
I still have plenty of bandaids/ sporttape/ ducttape in the house, so... I will survive ;)

(got a marvelous fingerchomp today because she rolled over and got her tail-stump stuck/ pushed up against something. She is very consistent: if something is not right ... its by default *my* fault!)

parrots 1 : mammals 0

Last edited:

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Lol, just thought of an old English saying 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush',

Meaning, It's better to have the certainty of a small thing than the possibility of a greater one which may come to nothing. So in reality, I think you should consider yourself lucky at the moment ;)

This proverb is one of the oldest and best-known in English and came into the language in the 16th century, Sorry :)

but seriously, can you work on trying to desensitise the issue of touching tail or what ever?

OP
C

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
LOL, I like what you did there, but to keep it (slightly more) serious ...
but seriously, can you work on trying to desensitise the issue of touching tail or what ever?

Oh yesss - every single day, but it is slow going.

Apart from the (wo)manhandling of her wings (parrot-physiotherapy) she gets tail touching,- pulling and sometimes even light twisting and tapping in between almost everything we do but...

she has lost almost all of the long tailfeathers (again) she has one left at 1/3 or 1/4 of the regular length (she bit it off, not my doing, almost all her large feathers are at nailbiting length: ragged dry stumps, almost down to the skin :( ) -> so her balance is crappy -> which makes her more insecure/ feeling unsafe -> leads to acting out more.
Esp. when she is on my arm and I am moving from one place to another (she freaks out at perches/sticks, so that is a no-no - I am going to try a piece of rope this weekend)
( No...the biting down is not her trying to keep her balance- it really is a correction/reaction (me justling her, moving to slow, moving too fast, moving in an unwanted direction or the famous 'something touched my tail' ) )

even more challenging: there are one large and one smallish tailfeather growing in...and we all know how cranky birds get during that (pinfeather) phase: it very sensitive at the moment and will be for a few weeks more ...
and the longer it grows...the more it will bump into things around her -> more reacting/ biting.

:confused:
I am somewhat stuck in what to do.
To offer her a safe place to sit / lean against (to help her keep her balance and calm her down a bit) ... I am putting my 'airbags' in danger.
(Backseat driving macaw: NO, turn left here! chomp!)
If I don't give her a feeling of 'safe perch' she wil continue to stress out and chomp me...

(if you are under 18 stop reading here!)

(I am serious!!)

On top of that is she is still quite hormonal ...so sometimes when I work with the wings she will reach behind her, grab her tailbase with a foot and start sounding like cheap pr0n :rolleyes::eek:
(she does that sitting in the cage/ on her perch as well, so it's not personal)

As relieved as I am that I'm obviously not hurting her...this is not something I am trained to work with! :eek: :39:

Am I henpecked? It is really hard to look objectively at this from within the situation.
I know she is hurting -esp the wings are still bothering her; lots of things annoy the cr@p out of her and her first reaction is to lash out and bite ... me, herself... does not matter.
A stressed out parrot is not a parrot that learns things easy ...
So I really need your feedback -... and armored underwear suggestions ;) of course, because sometimes all you need is a good laugh.

Last edited:

Most Reactions