What is a balanced diet for a B&G 9y/o

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
I've read the entire internet ... twice ... and here is what I have learned
1. 80% pellets 10% fresh fruits and veggies and 10% nuts.
2. no pellets 100% fresh fruits and veggies and people food (with the well known exceptions)
3. any where inbetween 1 and 2.

I'm not sure what or how much Coqui eats between what is thrown on the floor and what is eaten. Todays new food was corn on the cob. Gave her about 3 inches. She ate it all and destroyed the cob. She loved peanuts when she lived in PR and now won't touch them. i've introducded her to many new things and she does eat pellets when that is all that is available. So here are my thoughts. All comments welcome.
1. give pellets alone so she gets a balanced diet with vitamines in case she does not eat the other things i offer.
2. run through a list of veggies and fruits and find out what she likes.
3. give about 10% nuts and so far she loves pistachios and walnuts. Expensive taste buds!
4. Use her favorite sunflower seeds for treats and training.
5. I ordered some of the Only Tomatoes and only corn from amazon.com to see if that works.
Your thoughts please. and how much total a day volumn wise? 1 cup? 2 cups? I don't want to under or over feed her.

thanks so much for your advice.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
IMO, Old World Birds,macaws,amazons.conures, etc. 50% maintenance pellets. 25% fresh veggie,10% fruit, and small quantities of almond,walnut ,pecan, etc. (or in my case local tropical seeds and nuts). i try to make fresh sprouts a part of their diet but would count that in with the veggies. Older birds i add Milk Thistle and Hemp seeds maybe < 1TBS per day. i would add RPO (red palm oil ) weekly. I use about 1/2 tsp of Sunshine Factor on toast per week. Remember, variety is best and don't fall into a rut, change thing up , they have a knack for finding what they need in their diet. BTW unless your bird is flighted and active (or laying eggs)i'd stay away from the Hi=Pro pellets.

Last edited:

Sambamama

Dec 29, 2012
T
Parrots
M
I am following this post for my own B&G of the same age, who just arrived in my life about 2 mos ago. I was told mine is a boy, but I can't be sure. Also I am not sure of his real age..... I am trying all sorts of pellets (found out he doesn't care for nut flavored pellets) but he likes the others I offer him. I am teaching him about fresh veggies and fruits and we are learning what he likes and doesn't as far as that goes. I think he eats about 50/50 split of what I offer between pellets and fresh. That seems to be his own selection percentages.

I keep his bowls with food all the time. I wonder if its possible for him to get overweight? But there are times that I worry he doesn't eat enough. I am unsure about what a real macaw daily amount is of pellets? Should I only put out the food that he will mostly clean up at a time? Or should I keep plenty in highs bowls for him to graze?

I have learned that nutriberries are just a shred able toy for him. He won't eat them, but only crumble them. But he thinks its fun to do that, much to my pocketbook's chagrin. I may try to reintroduce them later, but for now he seems to enjoy the pellets. Thankfully getting transitioned from the junk food he came with was very easy. Whew for that.

Thanks for bringing up the question of the food percentages. I will eagerly await other responses too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've been feeding my Niko (he's 3) the following diet every since he came to live with me @ 4 months, and my new baby, 18 month GW Ripley loves it, too. :) My Amazons eat the same things, by the way ;)

THIS dry mix fro MSBS:
Bountiful Harvest Blend for Parrots PER LB. - MY BIRD SAFE BLENDS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Into this blend I also mix several different blends of Goldenfeast, plust 2 additional types of pellets.

In a different food bowl I offer my home cooked recipe twice a day, mornings and evenings:
http://www.parrotforums.com/recipes/22594-cook-portion-freeze-my-recipe-3.html

My Macs also get mixed UNSHELLED nuts, and they both LOVE Pinenuts.

Additionally they regularly get fresh fruits and raw veggies.

I always keep their dry food bowls filled. They are very active birds, and I believe they need to have food available at all times.

The home cooked stuff stays in their cage for about 2-3 hours in the morning, and again in the evening.

I'm a firm believer in offering a wide variety of foods, but of course your bird will only benefit if he/she actually eats the things you offer ;)

All my fids get bottled water only.

OP
Lindylou277

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
I've been feeding my Niko (he's 3) the following diet every since he came to live with me @ 4 months, and my new baby, 18 month GW Ripley loves it, too. :) My Amazons eat the same things, by the way ;)

THIS dry mix fro MSBS:
Bountiful Harvest Blend for Parrots PER LB. - MY BIRD SAFE BLENDS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Into this blend I also mix several different blends of Goldenfeast, plust 2 additional types of pellets.

In a different food bowl I offer my home cooked recipe twice a day, mornings and evenings:
http://www.parrotforums.com/recipes/22594-cook-portion-freeze-my-recipe-3.html

My Macs also get mixed UNSHELLED nuts, and they both LOVE Pinenuts.

Additionally they regularly get fresh fruits and raw veggies.

I always keep their dry food bowls filled. They are very active birds, and I believe they need to have food available at all times.

The home cooked stuff stays in their cage for about 2-3 hours in the morning, and again in the evening.

I'm a firm believer in offering a wide variety of foods, but of course your bird will only benefit if he/she actually eats the things you offer ;)

All my fids get bottled water only.

Wendy, above you said "
Into this blend I also mix several different blends of Goldenfeast, plust 2 additional types of pellets"
Would you share what are the different types of pellets and blends of Goldenfeast?
Thank you,
Linda

Most Reactions