What is happening?? HELP PLEASE!!!

Kaicur

Mar 31, 2011
I'm not sure what is actually happening here. My GC Conure, Roxys, chest was covered in Grey Downy feathers, but now has splotches that look raw and painful. She's been agitated lately, so I think she may be plucking. I'm Worried, and I'm not sure what this is, if it's normal (I don't think it is), and what I can do to help her. Any Information, and/or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you sooo much!!

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
I am so sorry. First port of call. Your vet to rule out health issues. Then look at the psychological. Do you know why she is agitated? Anything different?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Ouch,

No very much not normal. Looks like plucking and looks painful.
Need to start with a vet visit and look at health issues.

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Looks like the insides of my rabbits ears when I first got them, they had ear mites...

Ive had a lot of different kinds of exotic animals over the years, and mites is just part of playing the game...

I never dealt with mites on a bird, so Id see a vet if it were me...

Disclaimer: Im not a bird expert and could be way off base... but my buddy has a rescue that plucks, and it dont look like that...

OP
K

Kaicur

Mar 31, 2011
tanks For all of your responses.

Roxy has always had quite an attitude, but she has been off the charts lately. My Husband started working nights, so has had less time to spend with her....That is the only thing I can think might have altered her attitude. She's never been very attached to me, and only sits on/near me on her terms...which is why I never noticed her plucking.
I'll definitely be making an appointment with the vet ASAP.

It also looks like she has feathers coming in as well..do you think she may be picking at herself because they're hurting her??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It could be heart related, bacterial or fungal infections, infections in the skin or feather follicles, hormones, diet related, allergies, environment, boredom, behavioral, or anything else.

You need to get her to an avian vet for blood work and fecals.

And yes, she could be plucking because of the new feathers... but chances are, that's not the original reason.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
It looks like she is plucking and mutilating herself. No I don't believe she is plucking because the feathers are coming in and hurting her, it is usually a behavioral issue.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
That looks really rough, as stated you need to get her to a vet ASAP. Poor little thing, it looks raw and sore. I hope it turns out alright with her.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Let us know what the vet says after checkup. I hope everything checks out ok....

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Hoping you find out what is causing her plucking. Keep us posted!

OP
K

Kaicur

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks everyone! I will definitely keep you all posted!

Most Reactions