ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Hey guys. :) I've been asking a lot of questions, but isn't this what this forum is for? Hehe anyways, I had a question about alexandrines and indian ringnecks. (Did I post this in the right place? I'm not sure.) After my home settles down, I was thinking about getting one of the two. I do know that Alexandrines are larger and have different markings than a ringneck, but behaviour wise, are they very different? I've looked up everything about indian ringnecks, bluffing, cuddliness, etc. However, I couldn't find a lot of information about alexandrines, so I turned to you helpful people. :) I have heard that they like being on you and with you (not so mush cuddling) and are destructive. Other than that, not so much information. Would one of them get along better with my two GCC than the other? Or both like them? Or both hate them? Do they both go through bluffing? So ringneck and alexandrine owners, please help me! I'm kind of lost. Thanks guys. :)

Last edited:

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Ive been able to handle both. The IRN was wayyyy more nippy. It was handreared. It could of just been the bird. They make more noise than the Alexandrine. Although the Alexandrine squawk is a lot louder and a higher pitch. Though they don't make it as often as the IRN (quieter and the pitch isn't so high). I did train alex to meow instead of doing his squawk.

Both can talk. Both are clear. Not too sure which is the better talker.

Alexandrines are VERY destructive. Mine love to chew/break to bits everything. They seem to like the wooden toys more than anything else.
From what I remember the IRN wasn't near that destructive.

I think both of them aren't picky eaters. The ones I had loved to eat anything you gave them. Although Alex didn't like grapes because of all the juice.

I would say the Alexandrine has more of a stable personality than the IRN. They don't go through the bluffing stage. And are very easy to read.

The Alexandrine is very very gentle. Ive never been bitten by my alexandrines. Yuki was parent reared and I got her when she was fully weaned (by her parents). When I got her she was interested in everything. She was so gentle. She LOVES to lick you.
Alex was a rescue situation. An aviary bird that was forced into a small cage.

They love to have their beak scratched. The IRN didn't let me. He was young though and probably going through his bluffing stage. (I looked after two for a few months).

Like you said they love to be with you just not so much touched. Although Yuki loves to be touched and interact with everyone. She loves to be patted around her neck. I did have a thread about her going to kindy. She has the most gentle soul.

All birds are different though, ive heard many IRN's that loved to be cuddle and from my experience with Yuki she loves it as well.

The IRN was more accepting of other bird species. Yuki isn't really a fan of other birds(I think she gets quite jealous, when she seems me with another bird she wants to be with me and she squawks). While alex loves to cuddle with my conure. I do have a picture. :)

Both are very intelligent, I would say the alexandrines is more intelligent. Easy to teach tricks. Yuki learned target training after seeing alex do it. Alex learned wave and shake in one training session.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
IMG_0527.jpg

Alex HATES the camera because it makes weird sounds. He was preening Flynn before this shot was taken.

IMG_0669.jpg

You can see Yuki sneaking in. She loves her photos.

IMG_0668.jpg

Alex and Flynn love each other. :)

IMG_0597.jpg

And Yuki posing once again.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Oh my gosh! They're adorable! Thank you, you've helped A LOT! I found a very nice alexandrine breeder near me, I think after doing a bit more web surfing for a bit more info and cage prices I'll be set to get one in around two months (I just moved, I want everything organized). :) You've helped like no website could. And who knows, maybe soon I'll add a ringneck into the mix? *mischievious grin* >:) I'm pretty sure I was decided on an Alex, just needed more info and reassurance. :)

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Cool, thanks!! Love the pics, Yuki's poses are adorable! lol

Most Reactions