Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
My Amazon kiwi, the one who has been flying into me lately, does this weird thing where when I offer her to step up on her stick, she starts opening and closing her beako like she is chewing, and makes a chewing sound, staring downwards at the stick. I'm guessing it's a warning to me, just like every other behavior she has been showing me lately! :(

Thoughts????

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
That doesn't sound like a behavior that screams 'Pet me - I love you!' What do I know?

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Yes I thought the same as Sulphiria. They usually make funny chewing sounds when they regurgitate. If that is what she is doing, it means she likes you A LOT.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
If a warning the she. Will use the voice in a distink way, so I just thing it is noting to be afraight of. But from what I read now and before it seems that you are not conftbel with your amazon, that is an issue, she can read you in a second and sh is not injoy your company is you are not conftebel with the situation. You most work with your fear

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
my nut also makes this gentle beak clapping/chewing/clicking/snapping

1, when i am giving her a head rub and she is happy, the rest of her body is relaxed, her eyes may or may not pin, her head is side ways on or curled down so i can get them pin feathers for her, its a very gentle beak movement

2, when she has been startled or scared she will fly off hang of the curtains and i see this beak movement, but the body is stretched (what ever angle she is hanging in, mostly upside down) feathers all flat, faster beak movement, but it never lasts long

3 like your kiwi, when nut puts her whole focus into one area/object its never that good, that chewing sound is it like a snap/click??
when nut gives these *you are annoying me warnings, her head is bowed, but beak and eyes both point directly at her intended strike area, her head feathers are slightly puffed, and her cheek feathers are sometimes super puffed (makes her look really cute though)
another way of reading this, is the demand for a head rub, as the most common way for our birds to request one is with a head bow?

when your bird displays a warning, i would say walk away! find ways of making him come to you! the nut escalated her warnings into vicious attacks because i miss read a lot of nuts warnings as i made the mistake of only reading 1 part of her body language, and pushing what i wanted her to do

Most Reactions