What kind of bird am I?

Snickers2002

Nov 12, 2017
Hi Parrot owners / lovers!

I have owned a parrot for the last 15 years. I believe he was about 6 years old when i got him. He was given to us by my aunt who had a busy house with kids, cats, and dogs. This didnt leave much time for Snickers. After having him for all these years, my fiance and i debate over what kind of parrot he is and my aunt doesnt remember. Our best guess is meyer, mealy senegal or a cpl of others but when we look at other pictures, there is always something off. For example most meyer pics have full gray heads or his rottweiler (orange color) eyes dont match. So we have decided to come to the experts - what kind of parrot am I? Pic attached
:greenyellow:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171112-201251.jpg
    Screenshot_20171112-201251.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 120

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have an Amazon! One of the mid to smaller Amazon species. A Mealy Amazon is one of the Largest Amazons and your Amazon doesn't have the correct coloration for a Mealy.

Some general measurements would be helpful as would a few more Photos from different angles!

I will take a look tomorrow and provide you a better idea as to which of the many Amazon Species you have!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Please take the time to read the first two Threads in the Amazon Forums starting with Understanding Amazon Body Language. This Thread will provide you the basic Body Language that Amazons use to communicate. It will get you started! The second Thread (which is huge) will provide you a knowledge base in the Living and Loving Amazons!

FYI: In the Amazon Forum, Amazon's Rule!
Again, Welcome to Amazon Central!

FYI: When determining what Parrot you have, the process is to determine what features the Parrot has when comparing between different species.

Last edited:

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
It really looks like a Meyers to me. Do you know his weight? I have seen a few Meyers with yellow cheeks. Is the feathers above his rump a turquoise color? Some Meyers have browner looking eyes I believe.

OP
S

Snickers2002

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks everyone for the responses! I'll take a look at the amazon forums and get some more measurements and pics tomorrow or Tuesday. Heres another angle i had handy.

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• Snickers.jpg
    Snickers.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 136

Bryce

Sep 26, 2017
Long Island
Parrots
Ruby, Psittacus erithacus, 17 y/o f.
More data would be helpful, but I think this is Poicephalus cryptoxanthus. There are several pictures of this species with more overt yellow in the head than typical in Perrin's Parrots of Africa. But maybe Poicephalus meyeri.

Last edited:

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
With that second pic I’m pretty dang convinced it’s a poicephalus species! What a cutie! I attached another Meyers that has yellow down it’s cheeks.

Attachments

• F4F46E78-3DF5-4DC3-9473-71F60D9A85B5.jpg
    F4F46E78-3DF5-4DC3-9473-71F60D9A85B5.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 229

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your mystery parrot! I can't hazard a guess, but it is beautiful!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
He looks to be like a Meyers with possible liver issues causing abnormal yellow feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
He looks to be like a Meyers with possible liver issues causing abnormal yellow feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an excellent point, Dani. I hadn't considered this possibility.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When one errors, it is best to admit that error as quickly as possible.

I am very sorry to say, that you do not have an Amazon!

In reviewing 'The Book:' The World of Amazon Parrots, I find that the color variations of the Amazon I had guessed your Parrot was or was related to meets only a couple of like colorations, but not enough to confirm. In addition, with Amazons, size matters and your Parrot size as seen in the Photo near the keyboard eliminated any further hope.

Sorry for getting your hopes up!

You have an Amazon! One of the mid to smaller Amazon species. A Mealy Amazon is one of the Largest Amazons and your Amazon doesn't have the correct coloration for a Mealy.

Some general measurements would be helpful as would a few more Photos from different angles!

I will take a look tomorrow and provide you a better idea as to which of the many Amazon Species you have!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Please take the time to read the first two Threads in the Amazon Forums starting with Understanding Amazon Body Language. This Thread will provide you the basic Body Language that Amazons use to communicate. It will get you started! The second Thread (which is huge) will provide you a knowledge base in the Living and Loving Amazons!

FYI: In the Amazon Forum, Amazon's Rule!
Again, Welcome to Amazon Central!

FYI: When determining what Parrot you have, the process is to determine what features the Parrot has when comparing between different species.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'd guess Myers Parrot.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'm jumping on Meyer's with some odd head feathering, deffo worth asking a vet about it as feathers miscolouring can be a sign of something foul beneath the surface

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I agree with others that he might a Meyers parrot, although Bryce could be right too with his suggestion. Your cutie is certainly part of the Poicephalus genus though, so that's a start! ;)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
How weird.... second person I've come across with a meyers x senegal hybrid! And your posts are only a day apart! (different forums though...)

Makes me wonder where you are located... a few years ago, someone else had a hybrid up in Washington, but his name was "Big Bird". Looks very much like Snickers.

Anyway, here are two others hybrids.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mfids/4189619090
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33949649@N00/3821557932/

Makes at least 5 of these hybrids I've come across now.

OP
S

Snickers2002

Nov 12, 2017
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses everyone. He has always had the yellow on his face/head and has been very healthy / happy for the 15 years ive had him. Sometimes they seem to get more orange during the summer months. I have never taken him to a vet but good call to take him in just to be safe - and to make sure everything else is okay! Btw - in the nebraska area here but unsure where my aunts ex husband bought him 21ish years ago :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts