what level am i at?

Spinx

Banned
Banned
May 28, 2012
I would first get this Macaw on your forearm ASAP, even if this means you getting bit over and over. You have to be the alfa in your realationship or this B&G will walk all over you.
It is very important to get a new Macaw onto your arm within the first 48 hours of the bird entering it's new home, everyday that goes by, it will get harder and harder for you. So now you can see how far behind you are.

The trick to getting your Macaw on your arm, is to press your arm gently but firmly towards the lower belly of the Macaw, almost to the point of getting them off balance, the Macaw will automatically move forward as not to fall, this is when you say everytime you want to hold your Macaw, Step Up, or when placing your Macaw on a T stand, back in the cage the words are always Step up or step down.

Macaws are very smart and learn very quick.

Always carry almonds with you once you are able to handle your Macaw and give treats only when they do something they are asked.
You advised that your Macaw will take treats from your hand while in the cage or when you open the door to give a treat, this is the first step in getting the macaw onto your arm. Don't stop there, when you open the door, ask your B&G to step up, if they do not, and run to the back of the cage, stand your ground until they calm down, never close the door and walk away, if you do, you just taught your macaw that If I don't listen to my owner, she will leave me alone and I will do whatever I want.

After the macaw calms down, keep trying. If all fails, you will have to just go for it and reach in the cage and force the Macaw onto your arm. Once you get your Macaw on your arm, something wonderful happens, your macaw now sees you in a leader roll rather then someone who stops by the cage once and awhile.

When you get your Macaw on your arm, Keep you arm in a letter L position and close to your body, macaws want to feel save when being held. Keep the macaw away from your fingers and face, if you have long hair, pull it back so the Macaw cannot grab onto it.
Walk around the home so he can see that you are no threat to him and they are completely safe in your care. Introduce him to things in the home, closed windows, mirrors, doors, furniture. Allow them to touch things as this is how they learn what they can and cannot touch. Macaws are like having small children, they have got to look up to you, you are their new leader, protector, and most important, you are their new flock.

Bonding with your macaw is your next step, this means, do everything and anything you enjoy with them, include them in all areas of your life. Macaws are not dogs and cats that have free roam of your home, they are fluffy can openers and will get into everything. I eat with my both my birds, shower, take walks, drives. Go to petstores that allow animals. Bird club meetings. This is all bonding time and your macaw will learn to love you respect you and look for you for for the care and provider.

Please ask many questions, try to give info on things that you are doing, or trying to teach your macaw, we all have great advise and willing to help. Best of luck Joe

This has been the best advise thus far.
~Brenda~

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Don't worry, your making a lot of progress. It took me 2 months to get my budgies to sit on my finger and accept treats from me and sometimes tickle thier tummy LOL I got them in July and they were petshop birds which are harder to tame than breeder birds. They had an extremely bad fear of hands. The woman ahad to catch them and rub thier face in the litter to get them to stop trying to bite her hand. But They are also juveniles so learned quickly. This method worked for my budgies so who knows it could work for macaws:red1::greenyellow:

Budgieplace.com

Than click on taming and training, goodluck

OP
brucey

brucey

Jul 2, 2012
Newcastle, England
Parrots
Georgia, my blue and gold macaw
hi thanks for continued help from you all hes getting better every day i put him on his stand every day now and sometimes he steps up without me even having to give him a nudge :)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Brucey, great news, see how smart they are. You're doing great. Keep up the great work and enjpy every second.
Will he stay on your arm without flying off? best of luck Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts