What sex of Eclectus should I buy?

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i mean this in the nicest of ways, but i dont know if an eclectus is the right choice.. they need a huge cage and a very complicated diet, with tons of out of cage time. as many others have said, eclectus have wonderful personalities, but are you sure you're ready for a commitment like this? eclectus can live up to 50 years, and getting a bird means no air fresheners, scented candles or non stick cookware, as these can kill birds. they are usually quiet but have the potential for very loud vocalizations. also, since you said you are relatively new to birds, you should spend allot of time researching behavior and training. I'm not saying you shouldnt get a bird, but an eclectus seems like a very risky choice given the situation. conures are a bit easier to care for and thrive on activity and attention. they come in many colors and sizes and tend to love everyone. maybe a conure would be a better choice for the situation. your family could interact and bond with it, its diet is less complex, and it has smaller cage requirements. they are a little noisier, but proper training can minimize this. good luck with your decision :)

Edit- after reading more about the situation, and the eclectus species, i think an eclectus would be a great fit. sorry for the misunderstanding and good luck!

Last edited:

rcratchet

Sep 28, 2018
Cleveland Ohio
Parrots
eclectus parrot blue&gold parrot quaker parrot indian ringneck jenday conure canary winged parakeet a couple cockatiels and two parakeets thats my family lol
female Eclectus in the wild guard the nest and the food and have a little more attitude and can be a little louder then the male. that said they are both great birds i have a female and she is the perfect bird the secret to a good bird is time love and patience cant go wrong either way male or female

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
I got a male eclectus simply because I prefer green over red.

lettie

Sep 29, 2018
Parrots
African Ringneck
I have read that there is quite a lot of evidence to the claim the opposite genders bond better.

Sorry to butt in, but is this true for most parrots? or just ecletus :eek:

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I have read that there is quite a lot of evidence to the claim the opposite genders bond better.

This entire opposite-genderthing is nonsense, parrots pick people on personality, not gender.

Just because lots of people parrot this "wisdom" to each other does not make it true.

(LOL!) Or we can take this right into the genderwars and claim that every female-parrot that chose a female human is actually gay ... :rolleyes:

lettie

Sep 29, 2018
Parrots
African Ringneck

This entire opposite-genderthing is nonsense, parrots pick people on personality, not gender.

Just because lots of people parrot this "wisdom" to each other does not make it true.

(LOL!) Or we can take this right into the genderwars and claim that every female-parrot that chose a female human is actually gay ... :rolleyes:

lmfao!!! wait is that really a thing ahahaha (genderwars) thats crazy. i'm sure parrots don't care at all about our genders. :grey:

Most Reactions

Latest posts