what should i do for my situation?

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
hey guys, I got my budgie from a petstore about 3 months ago. I am currently working on getting her to trust me because she is still pretty scared, however I have been working with her everyday and can get her to hop on my finger 6 inches away to eat millet, which is pretty good progress I think :) She still doesn't want to come out of her cage at all though :( But I am hoping with time she will. I only have her as my only bird and pet and I live alone with her and since I hear budgies are pretty social she will open up to me soon. I also got her a nice big flight cage with good variation of perches and toys. I am also working on getting her converted to pellets.

I kind of want to get a second budgie but thinking I will wait until june 2016 because that will be 1 year my current budgie spends with me and hoping by then she will get a good bond with me. Otherwise I don't want to get a second budgie now and have them both start ignoring me lol.
If I get the second budgie next year, will he/she eat pellets seeing my current budgie eat pellets? or will I have to convert him again separately? also do I need to have a separate food and water cup for each of them? i would like to do that, but will they eat out of each other's cups or will they stick to their own cups? or should i maybe just use 1 cup for water then give them each their own food cup? the way budgies crap a lot on their food cup stands i want to give them their own cups. also yes i will quarantine for 1 month when i get the second budgie.

when i get the second budgie, will he be easier to tame since he will see his fellow budgie playing with me? or do I need to keep him in a seperate cage until he bonds with me as well?
i'm excited! wish i could go buy one right now lol!! but i figure its best to wait, gives me something to look forward to next year. also 2 budgies = twice the crap to clean lol. would be cool to hang out with each of them on my left and right shoulders lol....ooh should i get a male or female?? tbh I kinda want to get a fancy colored one, since my current budgie is a regular blue color. I do notice that the male budgies get bought up QUICK in petstores, when I go to check their budgies, most of them are female and they maybe have 1 or 2 males usually in a separate cage and they look very old.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
My experience with budgies is that they are either people birds, or aren't. I had a whole large flock of them (10 in total) and they all shared a large flight cage. Some were tame, others weren't. Some would fly to us for attention, others wanted nothing to do with us.

I think a lot of it comes down to the individual birds, but your plan sounds good to me.

In all honesty, I loved the female budgies the most for their curious, quirky natures. I found the girls were generally the most tame for me. My girls would even let me trim their nails perching on my finger. The boys were chipper little singers who mostly stayed out of trouble and drove the girls crazy. But a few of them were also quite tame. Again, it just depends!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
First of all, every bird is an individual-- so yes, you'll have to try converting the new budgie onto pellets if you choose to get another....and patience and perseverance is a necessity with birds- regardless if it's a budgie or a conure..... 3 months in a bird's world is not a very long time, so keep working with her and be consistent. And it's best to end training sessions on a positive note. My fellow mod often suggests putting a smear of peanut butter (tiny bit) on your finger, and this helps with bonding and building trust since they associate your finger with yummy goodies.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
when I was a young teen..13 or so..my mom bought me a budgie for my birthday... I was relentless with Wally,working with him every single day after school. Within a week he was hopping on my finger while in his cage.
We didn't have videos or forums back then,just books,which I would read and reread.
He started to "talk" in about 3 weeks,saying "wally boy".
I moved his cage from the bedroom out to a hanger in the kitchen where most of the action took place and he started to chirp and sing.
He too was reluctant to ome out of his cage but I'd just leave the door open while I did my homework and eventually he came out and went to his rooftop.
Soon he was flying everywhere,landing on fingers or shoulders when called. taking baths under the sink faucet,or in my cereal bowl!
He ate greens..would land on the cats back lol for rides..he turned into an escape artist learning how to lift his door and squeeze out,i ended up having to lock it.
He loved people..would come to anyone for head scratches..miss him to this day.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts