What Shoulder Does Your Bird Prefer?

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I'm just curious to see if birds prefer to be on a specific shoulder on people. My alexandrine prefers my left shoulder. I'm right handed and my bird is left footed. I think my bird prefers my left since I'm always moving my right hand, wondering if that's true for other people too.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Oliver, my Senegal, is left footed, and he prefers my left shoulder, too.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Any shoulder. Any ligament. Any part of me.

Near the face is always prefered.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Interesting topic!! :)

Fargo prefers everything right.. Always prefers my right shoulder, arm, hand!
At night time he always sits on my right shoulder preening my hair, never my left!

And always climbs down my right arm, and sits on my right hand, even though i use the mouse with that hand so its moving!
But he will get scritches from my left shoulder! haha

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
My budgies won't even acknowledge my left hand. GCC doesn't care, but prefers the left shoulder while being handfed.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph likes to alternate. One time, he'll climb onto my right shoulder, next time, it will be the left. :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hmm interesting, I never noticed. I want to say he has no preference. I do notice though that when we take a shower, he prefers to perch on my left finger instead of my right finger. I read some where that birds prefer to perch on the finger / hand that is dominant to the human. That is to say, if the human is right handed, the bird considers this a more stable perch. I'm not sure how accurate this article was.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Boomboom, i think that is correct with Fargo, because when we do flight training, or stepping up, i always use my dominant hand, which is my right hand, so everything i do with him, its always with my right arm, so i assume thats why he prefers that side :)

Melandkids

Feb 24, 2013
Media
Florida
Parrots
Athena -blue crowned conure
Zeus - sun conure
Josey- B&G
I will let my sun sit on my shoulder but usually it is on my neck under my hair. I don't trust Athena because she has taken a couple really hard nips to my ear. Josey and I are just getting to know each other but I am not sure if I would do it. She is very sensitive to noises. I meet a woman who had to have surgery because she got bitten in the face (more on the lips). I give them kisses all the time

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
My Alex always goes for the left side. If she climbs on on the right side, she will always go to the left shoulder.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Such a curious question! Being right handed, I'll pick my birds up with my right hand and automatically put them onto my left shoulder. When my birds fly to me, they will migrate to my left shoulder, regardless of where they land on me! My free flyer, Amigo, will always move to my left side if we are outside and he comes to my shoulder! Curiouser and curiouser! Great question! I wonder if it has something to do with our heart rythems? These birds are so sensitive that I'm sure there is a reason for this that only they know!

Most Reactions