What so you use on the bottom of their cages?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
what toxins are there? we don't really have black n white newspaper anymore

I don't think they can get away with inks that are potentially toxic anymore. I read this article and it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the link! I received a daily newspaper and use just the black and white pages for cage liners. Good to know the ink is generally non-toxic, and in any case they don't have access with their beaks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I use my last year's school textbook. XD... it does contain ink but it's unreachable for my lovies.

Wish I saved my old math textbooks, would feel wonderful to contribute memories of least favorite subject!!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Glad this came back around. Like everyone I used newspapers for the longest time until my friend cut off my supply of free newspapers.

I’ve moved on to using paper grocery bags actually! It’s gotten me to stop using plastic bags so much, and I get to reuse the grocery bags. Win win! A combination of that and butcher paper from Amazon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With newspapers, the colors are 'non' toxic as long as they are dull in color. Shiny or glossy is toxic and must be avoided.

One can buy metic sized paper, which is the same size as most modern mid to large cages. The Paper is commonly used for packing glassware when moving or storing long term. It is the same paper type used for newspaper for small volume runs or insects.

Cage size as with Parrot size really defines the type and size of paper, etc., that one uses. Supply source is another, since one does not wanted to be in a constant search for paper.

Chips and the like are IMHO expensive and have been seem as problematic as they are not changed out often enough to avoid the develop of a toxic mess of Parrot poop, and food droppings.

Most Reactions