What species would best suit me?

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
So I have never owned a bird. My family has, my uncle had a B&G Macaw and a female eclectus. My sister had conures, but to be honest I am lost. At first I wanted an eclectus, but the more I researched I just don't know that they would be suitable for what I want.

My situation is as follows. I work day shift, my wife works nights at the hospital. We have a 3 month old son and currently our only pets are saltwater fish. I am looking for a bird that is not too loud, I understand they all make noise to some degree. Relatively clean and easy to care for, which is why I am steering away from the eclectus right now. To be honest I am thinking about a parrotlet, but I want do my complete and full due diligence before I purchase one. I figured everyone on here could help me. I have heard that they are not too loud, very playful, talkative and clean by parrot standards. I have no idea if any of this is accurate or myth. Perhaps someone has a better suggestion for me?

Thanks for the input in advance!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
My vote of course always goes to the green cheek conure. As you said, all birds can be noisy, however green cheeks are supposed to be one of the "quieter" conures. River isn't noisy very often. :)

OP
P

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
Green cheek conure huh? How messy are they, do yours make too much noise during the day? My wife has to sleep, she is letting me get a bird, the least I can do is take her into consideration.

OP
P

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
Also, what are their cage size requirements? Do you happen to know anything about parrotlets?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I don't know anything about parrotlets, but there's probably somebody here who does. Cage size in my opinon is "bigger is better". River's cage has interior dimensions of 32w 23d 38h. It's on a rolling stand, so stands taller than me! The cage has the guards around it, so the mess stays inside the cage for the most part. His noise is at specific times of day, and doesnt' really last long. He yells a bit when he first wakes up, some when we get home from work (he's excited to see us and get out!), and then sometimes he yells a bit when I'm putting him to bed. (followed by these cute, but pitiful sounding quiet cries of objection to bedtime)

OP
P

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the input for your all your help. I will continue researching the green cheek conure you recommended.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I vote for a Pionus......

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
PS: Parrotlets cam be nippy( as the GCC) and i am thinking long run with the baby growing....You can trust the Pionus.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Being biased, but I'd recommend a sennie.

They're relatively quiet for parrots, they're playful and cuddly and although mine seems to be a crapping machine at the moment, he's pretty clean too. :)

Theyre not the most 'bright and colourful' parrots, but they're small, playful, quiet (a few loud squarks and some pleasent whistles :))

Bearing your child in mind, all birds can have a nasty bite, but I'd rather be bitten by a sennie than a macaw. :D

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i'd say wait for your baby to get bigger, as birds tend to be better being the number 1 priority, plus from personal experiance, i cannot leave nut alone with any small child, she will fly over and bite them, so as for babies, i'm not chancing it, thought her bites hurt, they don't break skin, but a baby is so much more delicate

though i would say sene my self :) as her screams are quiet, but none the less you will hear them, as they are set at just that pitch, but with saying that, she sleeps quiet a bit during the day (even though she gets 10/12 hours covered sleep through night) she only really calls when she knows some1 is in a different part of the house, or she is ready for up, so no lay in's lol

but most importantly, you will need time to so******e, good out of cage time, routine and interact with any bird you are getting, and there is never a guarantee, that the bird you get will be quiet for the species

go visit any bird you are considering, interact with it, visit again! if you came to view nut i will be confidant she will charm you over, and in fact be just as charming on your next visit! but once you get her home an the honeymoon period is over, she will put her beak down lol and that is when the training period begins

but watch how confidant the owners are with the bird itself, when it is out of the cage and at getting it to step up etc also get a very detailed history, birds likes an dislikes, health history, then be ready to commit 30yrs plus, including vet fees, food, toys, cages and any damage it does to your home!

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
I suggest Senegal parrot, or Grey parrot. They are both comparatively quiet and clever. ;)

John

Jul 20, 2011
Media
New York
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure,
Red Bellied Parrot
A Parrotlet seems like a good fit for you. Other species to look into might be Pionus, Meyer's (or other Poicephalus species, such as Jardine's, Senegal, Red Bellied, etc.), Green Cheek Conures (or any other pyrrhura conure, such as a Black Capped or Maroon Bellied).

All of these birds are relatively quiet, generally friendly and fun birds that are appropriate for a beginner.

Is it important that your bird be a family bird, as opposed to the one person bird? If so, I'd avoid the Senegal which has a reputation for being more likely to bond to one person.

John

Jul 20, 2011
Media
New York
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure,
Red Bellied Parrot
Green cheek conure huh? How messy are they, do yours make too much noise during the day? My wife has to sleep, she is letting me get a bird, the least I can do is take her into consideration.

I have a Green Cheeked Conure. He makes a "flock call" in the morning, that is moderately loud, but not that bad, and is fairly brief. He will also make noise when the kids are playing loudly outside his window. Other than that, he is pretty quiet.

Minimum cage size for a GCC would be about 20" x 20" x 20" (but bigger is better) with no more than 5/8" bar spacing (you might get away with 3/4", but definitely no wider than that). Mine is in a cage about 32" H 26" W and 22" D.

They should have a couple of hours out of the cage every day (the more the better) and some quality time with playing with you or perching on you daily. They don't need as much constant attention as say an African Grey or a Cockatoo.

The can nip from time to time, but their bites are generally just pinches and not too painful. You can usually tell from their body language when they will nip, so you can avoid it. They certainly won't send you to the emergency room, like a bite from a very large parrot can.

They are not particularly messy. They are small and while they will throw and drop seeds and pellets around, it isn't too bad. Mine is trained so that he will generally only poop in his cage, or on his play stand, unless he has been holding it too long.

Most like to be pet and scratched on their necks, but this varies from bird to bird.

Last edited:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
There is no such thing as a bird that doesn't make a mess. Even the smallest finch will toss seed every where. The mess part is something you will just have to be prepared to clean up daily (sometimes twice). As far as 'type' of bird, it doesn't really matter. You will need to look at the bird as an individual. For example I had two Cockatiels that where very very quiet. They never made any noise other than a cute little chirp. I have met others though that can get quite loud. Find an individual that is known to be more on the quite side, and keep in mind that when children are around birds tend to be a little noisier. I would recommend finding an adult that needs to be re-homed (for whatever the reason may be). I say this because the personality will have already been gauged. I would defiantly go to a reputable rescue, a lot of times they have great birds and will take into consideration what you are looking for and match you with a bird that fits your lifestyle (don't think of a rescue as having just old unmanageable birds, a lot of times they have young well behaved ones that due to circumstances end up at a rescue).

OP
P

Purevil21

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys. I am still researching. I do realize that there is no such thing as a clean bird, but there is a big difference in some spilled seed and food flung across the room lol! My uncles Macaw was crazy about that.

Funny you should mention a rescue, that is exactly what I am trying to do. I found a parrotlet that needed rescued which started me to researching. It concerns me though that someone seemed to think I won't have time to take care of it due to having a small child. Would anyone else advise waiting a few years to get one?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Personally, you make time for the things that you want to make time for. Your grown and if this is something that you want then go for it.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
My suggestion is think about what you really want in a bird....do you want a good talker? A bird that plays with foot toys? A little bird, a bigger bird. I don't own a conure but whenever I visit a pet store I am always amazed at how loud they are. LOL They sure are cute though. I have a dear friend that swears by her little parrolette,,,she just adores that thing....if you are thinking little but want a talker, have you considered a male budgie...I hear they can be good talkers.
Also, keep in mind that you may want a bird that doesn't produce the dust that other species of birds do...some can be VERY DUSTY,,,,
I have a little peach faced love bird that is not a talker but she gets her point across just fine, she makes me laugh and is very lovable.....
I also have a caique and a hahns macaw....my hahns is an excellent talker and makes me laugh every day....so talk or not...you're gonna love having a bird....just please, please, please, do all your homework and know what is involved in owning a bird...which I guess you are doing by coming here....good luck to you and let us know what you decide.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts