What style of snuggle hut does your med/large parrot like?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I know some people's birds chew them up, but Kiwi has always had one in the winter and doesn't chew it. Repeated washings have just degraded it over the years and I need to make him a new one. I know the little guys love these huts, but wondering what the bigger birds prefer? I see all kind of shapes and styles online I can duplicate! Kiwi's old one was just a basic "tent" that I could hang in the corner of his cage over a perch and he could back in. May just make a new one in the same style, but figured it never hurts to consider other options:) It is certainly cute to see a cozy birdie snuggled under their birdie version of a cozy blanket:D

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
While I don't really have any snuggle huts for my bigger birds, Sydney has some fleece draped around his main sleeping perch that he seems to enjoy. My smaller birds have been fans of the little corner snuggles that tie to the side of the cage. My one conure used to sleep with her face buried in it!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
While I don't really have any snuggle huts for my bigger birds, Sydney has some fleece draped around his main sleeping perch that he seems to enjoy. My smaller birds have been fans of the little corner snuggles that tie to the side of the cage. My one conure used to sleep with her face buried in it!

I thought I was being a good mum to Plum and got him one, will not go near it except to throw it on the floor. :(

PS @Kiwibird if/when poss would be good to see Kiwi in his hut if not too dark?

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

If you go to my profile, theres a pic of him in his old one photo bucket didn't manage to take down :)

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Oh my god that's the cutest thing, Kiwi is melting my heart! Where did you get that our did you make it?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Don't let his cuteness fool you!

I did make his old hut when we got him. It's just all worn out. Very easy to make if you buy the quilted type fabric- just cut a nice fat triangle, 2 rectangles (the same length as the triangle+ seam allowance), sew it together and zig zag or serge the edges. I had to change out the ties numerous times over the years. I wouldn't recommend integrating them into the seams, just sew them on top of the corners. Not as if a bird cares about a perfect finish!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio got one after we first found one of his stash locations and his 'girlfriend' elected to get one of those four corner styled ones that the vertical wires come together to form the side walls and ceiling. She then placed a number of food toys and a few other goodies in there, including a 'custom' made floor pillow that she made for him. You know, just in case he wanted to take a nap, or something. :D

The size is one that an Amazon can walk in and around the inside outer edge and complete a full circle. It would be a bit tight for him to center the tent and do a 180. A B&G would get 2/3's in and that would be it, would have to back out. Not sure what size it is, since my only interaction with the thing is to check if there are any foot toys in it.

He really doesn't spend much time in it, other than to check what new foot toys have shown-up and then pull out a couple that interests him.

I'll check the measurements and get back with you on that point.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio got one after we first found one of his stash locations and his 'girlfriend' elected to get one of those four corner styled ones that the vertical wires come together to form the side walls and ceiling. She then placed a number of food toys and a few other goodies in there, including a 'custom' made floor pillow that she made for him. You know, just in case he wanted to take a nap, or something. :D

The size is one that an Amazon can walk in and around the inside outer edge and complete a full circle. It would be a bit tight for him to center the tent and do a 180. A B&G would get 2/3's in and that would be it, would have to back out. Not sure what size it is, since my only interaction with the thing is to check if there are any foot toys in it.

He really doesn't spend much time in it, other than to check what new foot toys have shown-up and then pull out a couple that interests him.

I'll check the measurements and get back with you on that point.

Well I checked the measurements and found that it is a 13" Square base. Seemed like an odd measurement, so I pulled out the metric tape and double checked - it came to 335 mm or a bit over (13") square.

Let me know if you need more measurements.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

If you go to my profile, theres a pic of him in his old one photo bucket didn't manage to take down :)

Very Cute. I bought one for Levi months ago. Introduced it slowly and he still won't go near it.

I love your photo of you CAG - I get asked what a 'Warm Feathered Hug" looks like! Your Photo defines it to a 'T'!

- That is because CAGs know those things are radioactive!!!!!

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Very Cute. I bought one for Levi months ago. Introduced it slowly and he still won't go near it.

I love your photo of you CAG - I get asked what a 'Warm Feathered Hug" looks like! Your Photo defines it to a 'T'!

- That is because CAGs know those things are radioactive!!!!!

Thank you Sailboat, for the lovely compliment. I couldn't agree more w/ your discription.
Here is a link to a larger version of that image.
https://instagram.com/p/BWtu4-IgYAK/

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
We used to have a happy hut, but got rid of it because of the dangers I have read about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
@Tami- They are potentially dangerous to parrots who chew on them. Parrots who chew them can accidentally ingest the fibers, especially from super fluffy type fabrics. So they are safe for birds who don't chew fabrics but probably are best to be avoided if your bird is known to chew fabric.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
I bought Tsali a birdie hut similar to the pic below. It took a long time for him to warm up to the idea of this strange thing in his cage, but eventually he decided it was ok -- probably because I put his most favorite treats in it and he had to stick his head in to get them. So for a while all was good - the hut was good because sometimes it held favorite goodies and it was ALWAYS good for chewing on.

Then disaster struck - the only time that Tsali was in real danger of losing his life. I came inside from doing outside chores. Tsali was hanging upside down with nylon thread wrapped around his foot. The thread was what was used to sew the hut together. Thank God that Tsali is a trusting soul, not prone to panic . Hubby and I were able to pick him up, to relieve the pressure and clip the thread. Needless to say, the hut went into the trash.

I was devastated that I had given him something that ended up endangering his life.

Attachments

• bird hut.jpg
    bird hut.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 78

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I bought Tsali a birdie hut similar to the pic below. It took a long time for him to warm up to the idea of this strange thing in his cage, but eventually he decided it was ok -- probably because I put his most favorite treats in it and he had to stick his head in to get them. So for a while all was good - the hut was good because sometimes it held favorite goodies and it was ALWAYS good for chewing on.

Then disaster struck - the only time that Tsali was in real danger of losing his life. I came inside from doing outside chores. Tsali was hanging upside down with nylon thread wrapped around his foot. The thread was what was used to sew the hut together. Thank God that Tsali is a trusting soul, not prone to panic . Hubby and I were able to pick him up, to relieve the pressure and clip the thread. Needless to say, the hut went into the trash.

I was devastated that I had given him something that ended up endangering his life.

Oh my goodness, that's terrible. (Both Stories)
Thank you kiwibird & tsali. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It's always important to know the risk and benefits, then it's up to you to choose what to give them (or not to give them). Kiwi has had a hut the whole (coming up on) 9 years we've had him and has never had any issues with it, my moms amazon has probably had one in her cage for over 20 years (the fluffy fabric kind too!) with no issues as did her mate who was still snuggling up in his until right before he passed away (wholly unrelated to the hut, he had serious health issues for a long time). My dad has a cockatoo who couldn't be trusted for 2 seconds with something like a snuggle hut not to injure or kill himself. Some birds need special considerations with things like that, so it's definitely down to the individual and important to observe their behavior around any object in their cage or area they will not be supervised at all times with!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Hey Sailboat, any further info on Julio's hut? Curious what he likes, though I'm leaning towards making Kiwi another tent like the one he had before.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
It's always important to know the risk and benefits, then it's up to you to choose what to give them (or not to give them). Kiwi has had a hut the whole (coming up on) 9 years we've had him and has never had any issues with it, my moms amazon has probably had one in her cage for over 20 years (the fluffy fabric kind too!) with no issues as did her mate who was still snuggling up in his until right before he passed away (wholly unrelated to the hut, he had serious health issues for a long time). My dad has a cockatoo who couldn't be trusted for 2 seconds with something like a snuggle hut not to injure or kill himself. Some birds need special considerations with things like that, so it's definitely down to the individual and important to observe their behavior around any object in their cage or area they will not be supervised at all times with!

You are 100% exactly correct on the importance of understanding your bird. With Tsali's near disaster, it was entirely and completely my fault, I want to blame the hut, but I can't. I really thought it would be awesome for him to have a little hide-out it just didn't work for us.

Most Reactions

Latest posts