What to do with left over pellets?

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
My GCC shreds a lot of his pellets. It seems like such a waste to simply throw out all the pellet dust/crumbles. Do any of you make use of the leftovers in any way?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I put them into a plastic container and put them outside for the wild birds. And believe it or not, they know it's bird food and eat them. They learned it was bird food faster than a couple of my parrots did.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I just came from my avian vet with Amigo. I told her that Amigo wont eat the pellets, been trying quite a while now and he just flings them out of his bowl. I started grinding them in my cleaned out spice grinder, (a.k.a. coffer grinder), and mixing it with his oatmeal in the mornings. He loves it that way and the vet thought it was a good thing, nothing wrong with grinding pellets. She says to mix it with yogurt, put into what ever they enjoy.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just came from my avian vet with Amigo. I told her that Amigo wont eat the pellets, been trying quite a while now and he just flings them out of his bowl. I started grinding them in my cleaned out spice grinder, (a.k.a. coffer grinder), and mixing it with his oatmeal in the mornings. He loves it that way and the vet thought it was a good thing, nothing wrong with grinding pellets. She says to mix it with yogurt, put into what ever they enjoy.

That sounds like a good idea. At least you know he's getting them then.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Oh! Another thing my vet recommended was to finely grate a cuttle-bone on to Amigo's food! Lot's of good vitamins there that are important for him. That's a new one to me!

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
African Grey named Buddy and Marty
re-homed from rescues both are about 5 years old.
I add it to my mash for them....

I use baby food squash or sweet potatoes I add flax seed crushed egg shells some almonds also baby cereal apple bits or apple sauce black beans and pinto beans. Sometime banana or a table spoon of peanut butter they get this every AM then I clean out the bowels and give them dry pellets.

there are lots of people with better recipes but this is what my guys like. My guys are not big on greens but I am working on adding things like that in.

:blue1::grey::grey::white1:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I used baby food squash and carrots to hide orange things with vitamin A in birdy bread to get my BC conure to eat them. Baby food can be very useful for hiding things you want your bird to get in with some other kind of food.

Mare Miller, that cuttle bone idea is a good one. Pete won't touch his and I'm not sure yet whether Merlin knows where hers is or whether she will use it.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I just throw Bob's pellet dust out, but I've been thinking about getting some plants this spings, and I expect that they would make decent fertilizer.

Most Reactions