What to do?

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I was outside and I heard a weird bird noise (something ive never heard before). So I had a quick look outside. I saw something in the tree. Suddenly the nieghbours cat jumps into my yard with what looks like a small conure. I saved it.

It didn't look like it had any bite marks or anything. Atm it is in a spare cage. I had a closer look to the bird in the tree and it looks like the same type of bird. Should I put the cage outside to see if it would call to it's friend?

We don't have wild conures here so yea.
The one I saved is clipped, so it must be someone's pet.
I cant say about the other.

So is there a way I could get it down? I'm sure they are someone's pets. It's in my neighbours tree which is very big.

Any tip's/ideas on how I could get it down?
It keeps calling and calling. And the one I saved isn't making any sounds.
It's getting late now so it may fall asleep there.

It looks a green check but not quite. Ill see if I can get a picture of it.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I don't think it's a green check because it is darker than one, and it's tail is a bit different.

I think it's a maroon bellied conure

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF you could, clip the new bird's wings again to make sure where you clip off the primary feather is aligned to the secondary feather above and go half way back to meet the secondary flight feather. Then make sure he can't fly. You can place the cage outside with food and water with him in it. Then just observe to see if he would come down to the cage. Leave the cage door open and rig it with a fishing string, if he goes in, then pull the door shut. Since they've been outside, I would be real careful in the proximity you keep them to your existing birds! Post ads to help them find their family.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
The other bird has just flown into another tree, so im guessing he is fully flighted.

I will try to clip the bird I was able to save.
I will also be posting found ads on sites we in NZ use C:

It looked like he was coming down but then he changed his mind and took off.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
The other has taken off now, it flew very far away and I can't see it anymore. : (
I will try to find the owner of the little guy I saved and I will keep him away from my other birds

Conurebreeder

Dec 17, 2012
I'm glad you at least got ahold of one of them! If they were a breeding pair they could cause a lot of environmental harm and later cause some kind of conure ban! You should leave out a bowl of food and put the cage outside for a few hours a day, or near an open window to attract the other one. Poor things! I bet someone is very very sad and missing their fids! I hope you find it's home. Have you tried looking on Facebook for any kind of local page? My city has a pets page, lost page, and all kinds of other local stuff. Try searching your city name on Facebook. Also post on all of the obvious places like Craigslist etc.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
We don't use craigslist here. We have a few sites I know of which I will make an ad on. Im very glad I could save one of them. Conures are quite hard to come by here so I was really shocked when I saw it.

I will pop in to the spca, I don't think we have a bird shelter here.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
So was I.
I bet if I didn't catch her any sooner she would of been gone. Man it was so scary esp with the neighbours (I think he might be a stray) cat. He always brings dead animals to our door step : (

I found the old owner. I got an email from her, it also looks like a fake email.

She told me that she released them into the wild as she didn't want them anymore and that she was so angry that she hated them. I was told the the one the was partially clipped was a female and the one that flew away was a male. She said they were a breeding pair. She said she hated the female as she bites and is very un tame. She said she tried to tame it down but was so frustrated and she was angry that she was going to feed it to the cat. Apparently her family members used to punish the female all the time for biting. No wonder why she bites ;.; Apparently the male is very tame and loves people. I hope he is ok, as she said he has no fear of cats/predators. She said I should of let the neighbours cat finish him off.

I didn't copy and paste the email as it was full of inappropriate words.

I feel so sorry for these guys D:

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I have taken my ad down. I really do think she was the old owner as she was able to describe what the girl I saved looked like. She has very ratty feathers that look a bit shredded. She even asked me if one of them was clipped (which I didn't put in my ad).

So im sure the email wasn't a joke, I was hoping the it was a joke because who could be so mean to these poor guys D:

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
Hmmm, I doubt it was a joke as well... I mean who takes the time to say that? Did she specify what breed they are?

That is really sick... to send them out to die... obviously they were abused their whole lives and it's a shame they are separated now... but you did the right thing. Maybe walk around the neighbourhood and play some bird noises on a recorder or something? You may be able to find the male that way.

You are wonderful for saving this bird! Do you intend to keep her, do you have cages and things for her?

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
It is very sick, their email was so horrible and she did specify the species.
Im glad she didn't feed them to her cat. I hope she doesn't have any other birds/pets. I did try to email her again but it seems the email doesn't exist anymore.

I have tried to walk around, I was playing maroon bellied conure sounds of my laptop but hes not replying anymore. I cant find him. I lost sight of him last night. I'm going to keep putting the female's cage outside to see if she would try to call for him. She has been extremely quiet though. I would be quiet if I faced that experience. I have also put food out for him.

I am considering keeping her. I do have a nice spare cage, it's a tad small but I can buy her a new one in the future. I also have spare toys and everything. If I did rehome her I don't think I would find a good owner, well I know it would be very hard. Many people in my country consider birds as decorations and they are pretty much fed on a all seed diet.

I really don't want to stress her out anymore. I feel so bad that I can't find her friend. Im going to keep trying. I do hope he comes back to her.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
How awful of the previous owner to just let them free to fend for themselves :(. I'm so glad you were able to at least save one of them. Hopefully you will find the other one soon!

If you get a chance, you should try to post pictures. I'm curious as to what type of conure it actually is.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I will post pic's once I get my camera back, which would be later tonight.

She is a maroon bellied conure, it's one of the only conures that you can get where I live. At first I thought she was a green check (never seen one in person, was only going by pics from here). But after some research I found that she is a maroon bellied conure.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I panicked when I saw her, I thought she had blood coming form her nostrils but after doing research I found out that it was her feather colouring.

Here are pics which I got from the net, she pretty much looks the same but she has less red on her stomach.
maroon.jpg

maroonbelliedconures.jpg

maroonbelliedconure3.jpg

Pictures were taken from here
Maroon-bellied Conures

GreencheekedMaroonbelliedConures.jpg

Difference between Green Check and Maroon Bellied

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like I was telling you before, get her checked out before you decide on anything!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Some people are just unbelievably cruel... :mad:

I'm so glad you were able to save her, and hoping she'll get a clean bill of health from your vet...

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Why don't you change your ads to say lost male conure - then if someone finds him you can reunite the pair - whether or not you decide to keep long term

I really hope the female is ok and that you find her mate

Most Reactions

Latest posts