what to feed Num Num when he comes home???

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
some of you know that my cockatiel Num Num broke his jaw and is surgery today.

he is only allowed to eat SOFT FOODS for the next week or so.

I need some help on what to feed him, I'm really looking for a variety of good foods.

he is not a huge pellet eater, and seed is not allowed for now.

I am currently boiling sweet potato, chopped up spinach, & brown rice.

if anyone could throw some suggestions my way so I can prepare this, it would be very much appreciated.:D:D:D

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
You can cook wheat kernels, oats, barley and lentils to add to the brown rice and add some small white beans as well as cooked and finely chopped veggies to the mix. I have a tiel with a split mandible and he does great on that.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Do you have hand feeding formula or pureed food? I dunno how he takes to syringe/spoon feeding. But that's what I'd do for my baby.

Soft foods, um. I think that if you steam/boil your veggies for long enough, they should be pretty pliable for your baby. Things like peas are easy, but probably stay away from things with stems (like broccoli).

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ok thanks, I have most of that here so that will work out well

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Also oatmeal, cooked eggs, baby foods for fruits and veggies that would normnally be too hard. Birdie breads would also be soft if you make the right ones.
Good Luck with Num Num and let us know how he is doing!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Do you have hand feeding formula or pureed food? I dunno how he takes to syringe/spoon feeding. But that's what I'd do for my baby.

Soft foods, um. I think that if you steam/boil your veggies for long enough, they should be pretty pliable for your baby. Things like peas are easy, but probably stay away from things with stems (like broccoli).

I always have hand feeding formula here as I am usually hand feeding chicks.

we've cooked,steamed some veggies, and shredded others so they are easier to eat.

I just thought of cooked egg I could do as well, great for protein!

I remember the very first time I hand fed Num Num, he made this numnum, sound like.....mmmmmm that was good!,lol. so I named him Num Num

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....still haven't heard from the doctor yet, he is still in surgery

this is absolutely driving me insane!!!!

I called and they said Num Num is awake, but the doctor will speak to me after he finishes his surgery.

thanks for the suggestions on the food,

I have no idea what to expect when I go to get him, I'm sure it will be hard to contain my feelings when I see him....we are heading down soon, it's at least an hours drive from here in rush hour

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Hope all went well! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Just a few more soft food ideas...boiled & mashed sweet potato, boiled/baked squash, which is super mushy, puréed banana, boiled quinoa, couscous mashed up, baby foods......I'm glad to hear he's home & safe. :)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would do hand feeding formula in small amount but multiple times per day like you would with a chick. Since it's got all the nutrients to help a chick grow as it also helps for them to heal! Good luck, let us know how everything go.....

Most Reactions