What to feed when out of pellets?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Hi guys! It's been a while :) I still have all my birds (finches, budgies, a GCC) and we are all doing well. However, I have got myself into a pinch and I am looking for some advice for what to do.
So basically, all of my parrots eat pellet. The budgies and GCC eat Roudybush, while my finches prefer Harrison's mash. I ran out *much* quicker than I anticipated, and our bags of pellet do not arrive for 5 more days. I am clean out of pellets, and most treat foods. I have veggies and everything else they eat on hand, however I was wondering what I could feed as sort of a 'base' food. For the past day, we have fed the normal assortment of greens, alongside pasta and oatmeal. But I worry that I should give them more variation. My birds will eat literally anything- I call them my garbage disposals. My budgies get really bored of food really quickly, but will try anything and are not the type to turn their beaks up.
What "human" foods do you feed your birds? Any suggestions? Thank you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi guys! It's been a while :) I still have all my birds (finches, budgies, a GCC) and we are all doing well. However, I have got myself into a pinch and I am looking for some advice for what to do.
So basically, all of my parrots eat pellet. The budgies and GCC eat Roudybush, while my finches prefer Harrison's mash. I ran out *much* quicker than I anticipated, and our bags of pellet do not arrive for 5 more days. I am clean out of pellets, and most treat foods. I have veggies and everything else they eat on hand, however I was wondering what I could feed as sort of a 'base' food. For the past day, we have fed the normal assortment of greens, alongside pasta and oatmeal. But I worry that I should give them more variation. My birds will eat literally anything- I call them my garbage disposals. My budgies get really bored of food really quickly, but will try anything and are not the type to turn their beaks up.
What "human" foods do you feed your birds? Any suggestions? Thank you!
My budgie Rocky will eat literally anything as long as I'm preparing it or eating it (today it was tuna salad). In a pinch you can feed things like cooked brown rice, cooked whole grain pasta, plain hardboiled or scrambled eggs, rolled oats, cooked or raw veggies and greens, corn kernels, multi grain bread (the kind with lots of seeds in it), plain sesame seeds, unsalted buttered popcorn, wild bird seed, pine nuts, unsalted sunflower kernels.
Why not just stop at the local market and get a small package of budgie seed? Not the best food for them but it will do in a pinch.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I think oatmeal will be fine as a base for a few days, though I think they may need some more fat than that and veggies would provide. Do you have any nuts or seeds at all that you could add to it? Mine really like dry oats sprinkled into their chop and I add spices like turmeric and ginger to it so they don't get bored of it.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What to feed when out of processed seeds...
How about giving the poor bird real seeds... 😉

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
What to feed when out of processed seeds...
How about giving the poor bird real seeds... 😉
I don't feed seed as all my birds were either raised pellet eating or were cold switched. I've made a lot of progress in terms of getting them on healthy diets so I do not want to give them seeds lol.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I think oatmeal will be fine as a base for a few days, though I think they may need some more fat than that and veggies would provide. Do you have any nuts or seeds at all that you could add to it? Mine really like dry oats sprinkled into their chop and I add spices like turmeric and ginger to it so they don't get bored of it.
I currently am feeding oats with peas, blueberries, lentils, beans and cooked pasta. I was thinking about adding rice or other grains to spice it up. I like the idea of using spices!! Thank you!!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I don't feed seed as all my birds were either raised pellet eating or were cold switched. I've made a lot of progress in terms of getting them on healthy diets so I do not want to give them seeds lol.
You think that feeding your birds seeds is unhealthy so you feed them pellets which are made from seeds. 😂
That makes no sense

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
You think that feeding your birds seeds is unhealthy so you feed them pellets which are made from seeds. 😂
That makes no sense
Pellets contain more than just seeds...

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Ok but their made mainly from seeds
Yeah they mostly are. I don't think seeds are bad, but we probably feed our birds too many of them for them to stay healthy. My conure was extremely hormonal for three years until I drastically cut seeds from her diet (she ate pellets still so was getting some seeds) and upped the amount of chop she gets. Now I've introduced some pure seed back into her diet and it hasn't made her hormonal again so I think the key really is to limit it. I need to give her pellets really as I don't trust that I'll be able to always give her a nutritional diet 100% of the time, plus she really likes the pellets I've got. I only give a teaspoon of pellets and a teaspoon of seeds to her now and unlimited chop (just vegetables and fruit) and she seems to be thriving on this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts