What to think

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
My husband thought "my wife is so happy and thrilled with two birds, I'm sure she'll be ecstatic with three."
So, he has brought home an indian ringneck, now we have two and of course Edgar.

Here's the thing, the breeder told him Piper (from cell phone photos) looks like a male, and told my husband he needs to pick out another male. My husband asked how to tell and was told you pick one your wife might like and I will tell you if its a male or female. :11: Seriously? Yep.

I sent away for test results. In the meantime...

Attachments

• cuties.jpg
    cuties.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 205

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
So Sweet!!!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
HAHAHA! As much as I want another one someday, if my husband just brought one home randomly without me being able to get ready to quarantine etc I would be totally freaked out!

Enjoy your new fid :) IRN's are super sweet in my opinion.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Lol. My husband does NOT think that way. He is more along the lines of "nonononoNO we will. Or go into any pet stores or animal shelters because we might leave with another pet!"

In all seriousness, sorry about your frustrating circumstance, but congrats on your new bird!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also, IRNS should NEVER be housed in same sex pairs or death by violence is likely. With all birds, but especially IRNs, you need to let the birds choose to be housed together if that's what you want, never force. Also, they breed in season and usually don't get determined to do so unless you provide a nest box, snuggle but, or anything like that. So just leave out the boxes and box-like things and you should be perfectly fine if piper is a girl :)

OP
Mysterygirl

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
The breeder didn't have a DNA test done so he/she was (in my opinion) guessing. Unless you can really look at a baby IRN (hatched at the end of March or beginning of April, didn't really know). So, that's why I had the DNA test done. Eridan had his own cage but Piper kept flying over to it and "pulling" at the bars, so hovering over them I opened the door and let Eridan out. They get along 90% of the time. No real fighting, Piper just lets Eridan know everything (including Edgar's stuff) belongs to Piper.

Test results: Edgar is a female (wait!! What????), Piper is a female and Eridan is a male.

Attachments

• 2015020.jpg
    2015020.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
My friend who breeds IRNs can tell with about 80% accuracy the gender of her babies based on how they stand for feeding. It could be that the breeder used a similar method.

Most Reactions