What tricks does your bird know?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Lincoln knows how to go where i tap, give kisses, and he's learning to spin around. I want to get those little shopping carts and basketball hoops to teach him those though.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Tsali is a big talker. He is still just a baby at 2 ½ so I am expecting great things from his as we mature together. Many of the things he says are in context such as bye-bye when we go out a door and when we cover his cage at night. To him “bye-bye” means we are going to be out of sight for a while.

He calls my daughter’s boxer girls — whistle whistle, come on girls
Sometimes he will say NO NO don’t bite just before a nip OR he will just say NO NO don’t bite and laugh
If he is in his cage chattering and you ask him what he said, he may tell you — “I’m not talking to you”
Other things he says regularly,
Do What, Honey
What did you say
Hi Goober - for a long time everyone was named Goober, me, the yorkies, and anyone else he wanted attention from.

I am trying to teach him to ask for food by name — and he knows the names of many foods, but won’t say the names. I have posted this short video before, but I thought I would share it again.... woopsie having technical problems

try this: http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/67350-tsali-learns-his-email-address.html

Last edited:

rt456

Jul 9, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
Kyle: Olive Rainbow Lorikeet
My birds I had when living in the UK were really good. My previous cockatoo Joey would use roller skates and skate across the floor... Other than that he was in to dancing to music particularly liked Solina Gomez at one point. My Grey Sahara would talk in context really well, which was awesome at telling the dogs not to bark in my voice when I wasn’t in the house. She would also stack things perfectly by colour, never trained her for that, think she worked it out on her own after watching me sort out my son LEGO bricks one day. I’m hoping my new Bird in Australia will pick up some good tricks!!! Pick it up in 5 weeks will post pics soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FlyBirdiesFly

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I actually tried to teach Ducky the shopping cart trick but that one never worked out. Once they know how to fetch, basketball is pretty easy to teach. Ducky learned it in 10 minutes, but he already knew ring toss which was more difficult and its a similar concept.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Peanut recently learned how to scroll on my cell phone using her beak and she actually realizes what she's doing when she does it because she will stop to look at it. I guess it's pretty bad when even the bird knows how to use the cell phone.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Teaching your parrot to do tricks is such a good way to give them a 'job' within your flock, as parrots in the wild have jobs too. Some are guardians and look outs, some are seekers (food) and even for some species ( Galahs) take care of the communal nest. So teaching your parrot to do tricks , especially if you do sessions every day, becomes the birds job and they become more attached to the flock. I think most parrots are capable of learning even a few basic tricks. A lot depends on the teachers though. Consistency in teaching method is critical I think, otherwise the bird can get confused about what you are asking them to do. And treats for doing the trick are likewise critical, treats or some type of reward ( verbal praise or a bit of head scratchies). Salty responds the best to treats, little bits of pine nut, and verbal praise. I reward him even if he did not get the trick perfect, as long as I see he is trying. And I always end the session on a positive note, saving a favorite trick of his for the very last one ( currently its going down the slide I made for him - he likes that one so much he does it for the sheer fun factor).

Why not video your parrot doing his tricks - we can share techniques and see your birdies in action!

Huzzah for the "working" birds !!

Most Reactions