What's the most feathers your conure molted in one day?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I mentioned a few months or so ago that Pritti has been having a tough molt. started in late August 2012 and still going on 7 months later. Our A-vet saw him a few months or so ago and said he was having a severe molt. After a while, there were much fewer daily molted feathers. But in the past three days, it has started up again. Today there 20 feathers, yesterday there were 16 (he's a Cherry-Head, about 14" and 180 grams). I'm sure he's not plucking because I can pair up all the feathers at the end of the day, plus I see the little "puddles" of the stuff falling off from the new feathers he is opening. He looks and acts healthy, except being a little more edgy and sleepy than his norm. All his feathers (in and out) look good. He's 30, so I'm wondering if maybe this change in molting has something to do with age.

Here's a pic of Pritti snackin' in Grandma's kitchen.

wannabeaparrot-albums-pritti-being-pretty-random-photos-picture7569-pritti-grammy-s-kitchen.jpeg

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I haven't ever counted how many feathers, but i have had birds with tough molts. Feeding Oat Groats is suppose to be comforting and calming, so i have done that before. I haven't bought if for a while but there was a spray called molt ease, i can't seem to find it maybe they don't make it anymore but here is a link to bath time sprays Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products - Search Results for bird bath spray. Petco also makes one. You might try that. During a molt i try to give as many baths as possible usually i just use regular water myself but if my bird was having a hard time i would think about using a spray.

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
I was going to say the same thing about the baths. I have read that everywhere. Token gets a bath at least every other day in a room temp bath....he looks forward to it, and if he doesnt get it he will bathe in his water dish. I have had really good luck with his molt so far this way. Maybe it is Pritti's age if baths dont help. I have also read about giving them egg during that time...idk...Token eats eggs often with me. One more thought, are you using one of those UV lights for 12 hrs a day? I know that many swear by them especially when they are having problems like you mention. I plan to get one soon because they are supposed to be good. They run about $60.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Your CHC is very normal & getting his new summer wardrobe,,,,,

Never had the desire to count molted feathers since a conure & other parrots have several thousand on their little bodies and since some parrots molt all year round, it would be kind of hard figuring out when the molt starts and when it stops.....

Calcium and proteins are good to feed during molts.....

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
My sennie has loses that many feathers about once a year for a month. It's annoying for her, but she looks so bright and new when she's done!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi WBAP,

Sorry to hear Pritti is still molting heavily. I haven't really counted Boomer's molted feathers, but I'd guess he can have 5-10 feathers come off a day during his heavy molts. It does not occur daily though. I dont know of that number is supposed to go up in older birds. Is Pritti molting faster than the new feathers could grow? Sorry I couldn't draw from experience but I do have some suggestions to at least relieve the molt and encourage new feather growth:

1. Do not use any molt ease/bath sprays. I used to until I read about someone's lovebird dying soon after it was sprayed with Four Paws molt ease spray. Same brand I used on Boomer. I tried it on my face and it stung my eyes and irritated my nose. Imagine how it would feel on a small bird. I'd stick with plain water to help soften the pin feathers.

2. Extra protein helps during a molt. You probably already know this. I'd offer well boiled eggs, chicken or salmon.

3. More Vitamin A does wonders to birds. Among other things, it helps beak, skin and feather condition. I give Boomer lots of vitamin A rich fruits ang veggies like mango, carrots and canteloupe.

4. Red palm oil. I recently discovered thîs but its apparently a miracle supplement. It is a pure source of Vitamin A. I read about a member whose bird was loosing feathers on his face. The new ones could not grow because of some blockage on the pores. I'm hazy on the details here. But the vet diagnosed him as suffering from a condition (forgot the name) caused by vitamin A deficiency. Vet had them use the Sunshine Factor Red Palm Oil and he grew a ton of new feathers in a week. I'm not saying Pritti has this condition. But it would not hurt to add this supplement to his diet. I bought a small bottle from dr. Foster I think? It's this orange semi solid oil. I melt a tiny bit on Boomer's warm rice once or twice a week. He doesn't like the taste but would tolerate it on rice.

4. Nothing beats a good dose of sunlight to make a bird feel better. Vitamin D greatly helps skin and feather condition.

Hope this helps! My regards to Pritti. Thanks for sharing the cute picture!

Last edited:
OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi and thanks everyone. I am on the same page with you BoomBoom about the sprays. I read that same story. Pritti hates being sprayed with anything, anyhow. But I don't allow any concoctions to be sprayed around him or on his stuff, or even on my floors or counters where he often likes to hang out. I'm going to look in to the oil you mentioned, sounds good. Last blood work showed great in Vitamin A. In fact, for all the vitamins and minerals - A-Vet said he wished his own blood was as good as Pritti's, LOL.

I'm lookin in to buying one of those bags or containers of Cookable Foods that are loaded with grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes. There are so many of them that my head is spinning. Of course, I want organic, but it's hard to find one that has what I think is best for him or most liked by him.

If anyone has recommendations of a pre-packaged, high quality cookable food, I'd love to hear about it. I need this for a while as a nutritious substitute for all home-made foods. It won't be every day for every meal, but will be necessary at times. So a scratch recipe to cook at home won't work this time around.

I might post this as a separate thread if there isn't much response to the food question.

Thanks.
Peace,
Wanna and Pritti

Most Reactions

Latest posts