Whats this behavior ?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
When Ruby is on our sofa she does this digging thing. Sofa is dark brown by the way. She will put her head down ( usually near a corner) and kinda holds on to the sofa with her beak. Then she starts a digging or scratching action, pulling her feet backwards till they kick her tail, then the other foot does the same. Anyone know what this is ?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
This is nesting behavior & i would strongly suggest you discourage it. Hens in breeding mode can & do get very nasty especially if the have access to a dark cosy place to nest in.

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Definitely nesting behavior, my female did the same with her snuggle nest. Discourage it or she will start laying eggs and such, and becoming hormonal.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Yes, she's trying to find a place to nest...

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Thanks everyone, thats what I was afraid of. Hubby said she was just foraging, but I didnt think so. I will quickly remove her to distract this behavior when she does it from now on. I havent put a snuggly hut or anything like it in her cage to discourage nesting.

Most Reactions