Scarlets Bonding

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Hi everyone. Need some ideas. We have Scarlet and she is doin great. She never stops eating all the good stuff, she has no fear of new toys and places. Great baby girl. Problem is my hubby picked her when we went to visit Jax to be his baby. We brought her home and she just went for me. I assumed it was because she has never been around men as the breeder is a single lady. Scarlet wants nothing to do with my hubby, I try to let him feed her and get hubby to just stand by her cage a sweet talk her without trying to force her. He tucks her in each nite, still nothing. I cant just let her not have any interaction so I play with her and spend time with her.. She loves me, she will already fly to me when I hold up my arm and say come see me. Am I hurting my hubbys bonding by interacting with her. Should I not spend time with her?? If I dont and she doesnt allow my hubby that means she will sit there alone. That would crush my heart. What should I do???Will she accept both of us??

OP
Adinafloyd

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
about a month and a half

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
Like anyone else will probably say, you don't choose the bird, the bird chooses you. That's just how it is. You haven't had her very long so its still going to take quite a while to form a deep bond. I would keep handling her the same, just make sure he is the one feeding her more, taking her out first in the morning, etc. Seems like he is doing fine right now. It may be because the breeder was female.

When I got Scarlet (same name haha) it was a lady I got her from and Scarlet wanted to go to my wife more than me. Now that ive had her for for a couple months, Scarlet goes to me and dosent bite me very often unless she really wants to be left alone but will bite the Mrs very often lol. Its weird too because since the last owner was a female, Scarlets voice when she talks is female but she is trying to mimic my voice now (which my wife finds very creepy because it sounds all....creepy haha) but she still talks back more to my wife than me.

I still had my wife handle her because I don't want her just bonding with me but I made sure that I fed her, cleaned her cage, gave her showers etc until she got used to everything. Scarlet really seemed to cling to my wife when she first got here until she settled in. Then she became neutral and very cage territorial. Then she started bonding to me. Kinda weird lol.

At any rate, just be patient, she is still just a baby and a lot could change in the next months so just keep working with her just as you would a child.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts