Whats up

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Hello everyone,
Ive been browsing thru these forums along with a few others for years now but finally made an account.
Im currently living in Miami from the NYC. Have a sun conure named Loco whos almost 4. He is an assummed male but he has not been DNA sexed, either way he is my beloved little fid. Going to be adding a new fid to the fam once im out of this apartment as well but well see. Theres always more to learn so ill be around, looking forward to it! Call me J :orange:

Not sure exactly what to write here but a little more info on him couldnt hurt. I got him when he was young, at about 3 feedings a day and weaned him onto harrisons high potency. I now give him adult lifetime but occassionally mix in some high potency especially now since he is molting. I have been trying to get him to eat chop but he really is not fond of veggies..yet. He loves grapes, apples, oranges and many of the temperate fruits but I would really like to get him to start eating more of the nutritional fruits and veggies. He is fully flighted and I have an open cage policy with him in my apartment.. or his apartment. :D

Just put two pictures of him too. Him munching on his nutri berry and him saying watch out! In his beloved towel bed after I woke him up. He will not sleep in ANYTHING other than a folded towel hanging with some rope lmao!

Attachments

• 20161020_172437.jpg
    20161020_172437.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20161020_212309.jpg
    20161020_212309.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, J and Loko! He is a beautiful Sun!!

Getting a bird to enjoy chop can be difficult. A helpful technique is to prepare a small portion for yourself and eat it in front of Loko. They are flock-eaters and consider you as part of the flock. This may stimulate his curiosity!

OP
Loko

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco

Getting a bird to enjoy chop can be difficult. A helpful technique is to prepare a small portion for yourself and eat it in front of Loko. They are flock-eaters and consider you as part of the flock. This may stimulate his curiosity!

Thanks, from both of us. :cool: I agree thats a great way to encourage new foods, and it has been with fruits and such but so far no luck with chop. I will keep trying, i think its pretty good myself but might try to play with different mixes and incorporate more things he knows or things i think he would like. Sweet potatoes are about the only vegetable he will eat at the moment but well get there!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Thanks, from both of us. :cool: I agree thats a great way to encourage new foods, and it has been with fruits and such but so far no luck with chop. I will keep trying, i think its pretty good myself but might try to play with different mixes and incorporate more things he knows or things i think he would like. Sweet potatoes are about the only vegetable he will eat at the moment but well get there!

If he likes sweet potatoes you might try yams. I feed both to my flock, most love them both.

Definitely keep trying, they are stubborn! I've had birds reject a food for years until they become curious, then it becomes a favorite!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If he likes sweet 'taters, try one of them small Halloween pumpkins. Put some holes in it, throw in the microwave for 2 min , cut it in half, let it cool, put it in his food bowl and let him go nuts! I am going to be sorry to see tiny pumpkin season end, Salty loves his
pumpkin nights.

fowlstack

Jul 19, 2016
Spring, Texas
Parrots
'Rio' - Mexican Red Head Amazon (2016)
If he likes sweet 'taters, try one of them small Halloween pumpkins. Put some holes in it, throw in the microwave for 2 min , cut it in half, let it cool, put it in his food bowl and let him go nuts! I am going to be sorry to see tiny pumpkin season end, Salty loves his
pumpkin nights.

Do you leave the pumpkins seeds inside as well for the bird??

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome, so glad you found us!

My Rickeybird has been on Harrison's High Potency (plus fresh stuff) most of his life. Yeah, I can get him to eat ANYTHING if I eat it first. And ya have to swallow it... he watches!

Your Sun is a beauty!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Re pumpkin - yep seeds, guts and all. Just cut it this way --- and not this way | , and leave the nasty stem off. I just plop the half of pumpkin into his bowl. Messy but good for them.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

That's some of the best advice. I just offered Gus a corn wheel and he looked at me like I was nuts, touched it with his tongue and backed off. So I put it in his bowl and got one for myself. Ate it slowly saying UMMMM UMMM ... he watched me intently ... then bent over and looked in his bowl ... looked back at me UMMMMMM .... put his beak in his bowl and poked it ..... looked back at me ... hopefully he got the idea that this is food, and will eat it soon ....

Most Reactions