Whats wrong with Oliver?

Cynthia

Sep 26, 2010
Arizona
Parrots
Almost 2 year old Senegal Parrot, Oliver
Hello, my name is Cynthia and I am the proud owner of Oliver, an almost 2 year old Senegal Parrot. The reason I joined this Parrot forum was to ask for advice.

I am Olivers second owner, he came home with me from a pet store in May 2010. We bonded immediately and did everything together. He was very well tempered, friendly and playful until a little over a week ago.

I went out of town for one week and when I came and greeted Oliver (who stayed with my husband) he literally turned his back to me. He wont play with me, every time I get near his cage he goes to the other side or tries to bite me. He absolutely refuses to step up, let me pet him or be near me.

I figured he was upset because I left so I began giving him his favorite treats and trying to win his trust again but he just wont give in. Today was the first day in almost 2 weeks that he finally played with me this morning. I didnt want to stress him so we only played for a bit then I let him rest after having his treat.

About an hour later I found him climbing our dinning room curtains, something he has never done before. I approached slowly and he almost gratefully stepped up. I was so relieved I thought we were progressing but not even a second later, he started to bite my hand all over. These weren't warning chomps, they were very painful. I panicked and flung him off of my hand. He has never done anything like this before.

I dont know what to do. I just want my Oliver back.

Since I brought him home he has had no major changes, he has kept the same diet but I included fresh fruits and veggies and, I am letting his primary feathers grow out.

Please help me, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :green2:

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Cynthia,
I am not much help on the larger birds and I am certain one or more of the members with skills there will see this and check in with their thoughts. A question, how is he around your husband? Is it only you he is struggling with or is it general?

OP
Cynthia

Cynthia

Sep 26, 2010
Arizona
Parrots
Almost 2 year old Senegal Parrot, Oliver
Hi thanks so much for answering, I don't know what to do anymore. Since the day he came home, Oliver has never liked my husband. I can count the times Oliver has stepped up on my husbands finger on one hand, but he is very friendly when my husband offers him his favorite treat. My husband tried for a few weeks to win Olivers friendship but Oliver refused, being stubborn, squawking and nipping. Only nips though, never hard bites. Thats why I was really surprised that he lunged at my hand when I picked him up yesterday. Anyway my husband just steers clear of him. While I was gone, my husband let him run around out of his cage, cleaned it and refreshed his food and water daily. Oliver used to cling on to his cage wanting attention when I was near, now If I get close, he lunges out in attack mode. I dont understand why he is like this, I never did anything to hurt him. Thanks again. :green2:

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
If you're SURE of the age I'm pretty sure he's a bit young to attribute his actions to hormones. It might just be he's mad at you for leaving and needed more time to calm down from it.
Even though you didn't mean to, flinging him off probably scared him badly. When he lunges at you, you have to show him you will not flinch away.
It may take earning his trust all over again, but if you keep at it, offering him treats and talking to him, I'm sure he'll come around. You might also look into trying target training with a clicker, there's a few videos on youtube that show it well.
Good luck, and remember to just not give up, it may take time but it will be worth it!!! = )

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
You did not do anything wrong in human terms. ;)

But unfortunately animals/birds do not live according to our terms. You've only had him since May, he just started settling in, feeling secure and started to completely trust you and then you abandoned him. You left him all alone with that monster (your husband)! How can he ever trust you again! You pushed him aside, brought all the insecurity back - you are not worthy to be his mate. He hates you for hurting him.
(This is not MY feelings, I am just telling you from Oliver's perspective;))

The only way to fix this is by showering him with love and showing remorse for 'abandoning' him. It might be a short road or a very long road, it all depends on how stubborn he is and how sincere you are.

Next time, take him with. He will choose being in a small cage and see your face everyday above going through a week without you.

He loves you dammit!:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts