When does the beak change colour?

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
My boy Jiraiya is about 15 weeks old and his beak is still really black. It really hasn't changed colour much (if at all) in the 3 weeks I've had him. I thought the colour might be changing a little by now.

I know I'm probably being impatient, lol, but I love the look of the yellow beak! Just wondering how old everyones birds were when their beak changed colour :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The beak will change color slowly. By the time your bub is 12 months, he should be sporting that hot candy cane beak. :)

OP
skylala

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
Aww that's longer then I thought : P

I've just seen photos of 11-12 week old bubs with the yellow beak already and I thought my boy might have been a slow poke!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What type of Ekkie do you have? Vosmaeri, Red Sided, Solomon Island?

I had a pair of Red Sided a few years back, and Jasper's beak "started" changing around 4 months. By 6 months it looked pretty good, but by the time he was 1 it looked phenomenal. :D

@ 7 weeks

@ 8 months

@ 1 year :)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
It depends how black the beak is as a baby. My girl's beak was almost totally orange, it took until she was about 1 for it to become completely black.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Wendy,

I didn't know you had ekkies in the past??? I LOVE my ekkies but I didn't get them that young so I'm not sure how long before their beak color changes....

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Oliver's beak turned from black to yellow to candy corn very slowly. He is now one (Hatchday 9-9-12) and it's almost all yellow with orange at the top with a little hint of a few leftover black strands...

Most Reactions

Latest posts