when to let conure to start flying?

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Hello, I have had my cinnamon green cheek conure since May 7th 2013, he is 5 months old. We have bonded to some extent (some examples): he will snuggle up to me and just sit once he is comfortable, he will rubs his face on my neck or cheek when he is on my shoulder, and will jump to the ground (trying to fly to me) and follows me when I leave him for a moment. Those a few examples I can think of on the spot. The reason I started this thread is because I was wondering when I could let him grow his flight feathers so he could fly to my arm I was wondering the pros an cons of it. Such as when I take him outside or in the car.

Thanks,
Evan:green:

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Hi Evan! I think i have a cinnamon green cheek too! Does yours have a light grey head and slightly muted blue and red colors?

My Kiwi is also around 5 months old! :) And i'm also planning on having her fully flighted at some point.

Pros: It's great exercise and it's a natural fun thing for them to do. Your bird can also fly to you instead of waddling over and possibly getting distracted by..oh..that dark unreachable space under your couch >.<

The only con I can think of with taking a flighted bird outside is it flying away from you and getting lost, or getting hurt by a predator or other hazards (think traffic, high winds, power lines >.<)

This is a suggestion, it's totally up to you how you feel about it, but you can try to start training your conure to wear a flight suit or a harness so you can safely take them out on a leash. You never know what might scare your bird, and when instincts kick in they will fly away, even if they love you the mostest in the whole world. A pet bird might not know how to maneuver the outside winds and could get lost.

If you google harnesses or flight suits you will see a lot of articles on how to train your bird to get used to them, and also where to purchase them.

Hope this helps!!

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Thanks, I have heard of but didn't think of a flights suit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts