When to throw in the towel

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So we have had Charlie for 8 months now, we have gotten her on a healthy diet and figured out she has allergies. The issue is that she still won't let us touch her and if we get too close she will take a chunk of flesh.....so the question is... is just being healthy and in a safe environment good enough, or should they be able to have human interaction...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear that Charlie hasn't come around yet, Teri. :( I know you are doing anything and everything in your power to make her feel loved and wanted.

I'd say she is definitely in a MUCH better place than where she was before you got her. :)

Maybe...just maybe she will still come around a bit? I can imagine how hopeless it must seem to you after 8 months, but perhaps a little while longer will make a difference?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Don't give up on her yet. Give her a little more time and spend lots of time close to her. Don't force interaction on her but stay close and talk to her all the time. Reward profusely for allowing you close without being threatening.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I'm not giving up I just want what is best for her...If she would do better in a different home then I would be okay with it...I would like to keep her I do enjoy having her around but it's all about what is best for her

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I totally understand what you mean - We have had Dexter, our YCA fr 6 months and he is really not interested in much interaction with us. He was parent raised and a breeder for his whole life and I have wondered the same things you are. I finally decided that at least he has a good diet and everything he needs, and am hoping he will eventually come around. He seems happy here. I think that if you are not able to tame her with your love and experience, that she probably would not do better with some one else.
I think it sometimes just takes a lot of time:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It can take a long time for parrots to come around and build a trusting relationship with people. It took a solid year before Kiwi would step up to me without a glove (I wore a glove because he would take some flesh). It's took about 5 years for him to come around and start sitting on my leg and being comfortable in close proximity to me. He still isn't touchy-feely, but he's happy, healthy, well fed and much loved. It can be frustrating to see other peoples birds who let them scratch their heads and cuddle up, but that just isn't my Kiwi. I love him all the same though. Not every bird is the cuddling type, but so long as they're still enjoying playing, foraging and are getting proper care, there isn't anything that says they have to be petted to be happy. Amazons are notoriously one of the least likely birds to enjoy contact interactions. You really haven't had her that long, just keep working to build that trusting relationship. It took years to break down her trust in humans, so it's reasonable to assume it will take years to rebuild it. And keep in mind, they don't have humans to play with in the jungle, and beyond their mates, I don't think they're particularly touchy feely with flock mates either. If she's healthy and seems happy ding what it is she does, no need to upheave her life again to rehome her.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I'm having similar, yet less extreme, troubles with Simba. He lets me pet him at times, regurgies on me regularly, yet he will not step up. And when he's not in the mood to be sociable, he will lash out. Last night my gf's son came over (Simba thinks this man poops rainbows) and they interacted like mad. Simba got scritches, they played, etc. Now today I can't really do much with Simba because I'm not Josh! Tonight he'll be better and then he'll get back to his old cantankerous self. But I've only had him 3 months, and if I never hold him, so be it. At least he has a good home and is loved. (thanks Wendy:) )

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I wish you people were closer, so that I could take a crack at it with both of these birds.

It's hard to do this, verbally, over the internet.

Personally, you should be able to at least get him to the point where he is stepping up without biting.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Birdman... Charlie won't even step onto a stick...The lady I got her from hadn't even ever had her out of the cage and she had her for about a year and a half...she will come out of the cage and hang out on top of it she will play with certain toys and she is a great forager....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
With Sallybird, who was cage bound, and wouldn't even come out of the cage for 8 months... I ended up toweling her, and carrying her around in a towel for 20 minutes at a time feeding her treats and talking to her, and then setting her back down on top of her cage...

Several times per day.

It's a drastic thing. And the bird ISN'T going to like it, but after about two weeks of this, I was able to stop toweling her, and wrap the towel around my perch arm and step her up. Same routine... walk around and feed treats, then put her back.

Then, after about five weeks, I was able to step her up with my bare hands...

Then, after about two months (eight weeks) I took her out and about, and trained her to go outside and stay put with me. She got used to strangers, and got to the point where she loved it. (4-5 hours per day outside in strange places on the weekends.)

THEN, my daughter worked with her. And she began going back to the rescue, where everyone handled her.

And she became something of a local celebrity because she was the bird everyone (except two of us) had given up to, and ended up being a love everyone bird...

SO, no, I think it might be time to take drastic steps, but I would like to be there to see how she responds to it.

I am not above toweling if, and when, I have to.

It's not a first resort.

I would make sure this bird is clipped first, or it won't work.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Charlie is missing one of her wings so I think we are good there...I have had to towel her several time as when I first got her she was having so health issues and had to go to the vet quite a few times

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I hope you have tried clipping her wings. This is not a time for misplaced sentiment.

I'm not sure how a parrot can avoid stepping up when you press a dowel/branch against her lower belly and she feels like she's going to fall backwards. If you can do that, you'll be on your way.

Giving up is never an option. You just need to take charge of the situation a bit more.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Charlie is missing one of her wings so I think we are good there...I have had to towel her several time as when I first got her she was having so health issues and had to go to the vet quite a few times

WELL THERE IS A BIG PART OF YOUR DYNAMIC RIGHT THERE...

This bird is handicapped, and a sitting duck for predators, and doesn't he know it! He's gonna try to keep people at bay...

Until he knows he can't.

And discovers that they only want to be nice to him.

It's drastic, but it just might work!

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
Hi there, Im know it can be tring for sure and you want so bad to love on him. My first experance was with my Moms Amazon named Jake he was from a bad past and we took him in knowing it would take some work and maybe he would just be a bird we could talk to and love from a far. Now i know this may freak you out but it was 10 years and Jake started to come around ! after 10 long years of just him being talked to and stuff. We would lock his door to feed him and water him, bathing him was like we where killing him. if we touched him or he got ahold of us he would break your finger, but we kept him. Loved him from a distance. He talked like a small todler and at 10 years old one day he got down from his cage and i was sitting on the sofa and he crawled up my leg...I almost peed myself i thought he was going to eat me. he just sat there looking at me and i looked at him. I said Hello Jake, he said hello, pretty girl ! i said yea are you going to eat me, and he laughed at me LOL and i just sat there and watched tv with him on my lap for like an hour, not moving. finaly he moved up to my hand. I was like oh crap, there goes my fingers ! but he just wanted me to talk to him and stop watching tv. So i started talking to him. everyday i would sit on floor and he would come over to me, climb on my lap and we would talk. After about 6 months of that, i tried to pet him and he let me but only me. He bit everyone else.

I guess what im tring to say is I think Jake had a great live, he was very happy, not being picked up and cuddled and pet all the time and when he was ready he came to me.

I hope everything works out for you and Charley.

Ambermai

Oct 24, 2013
Hello hello, have you tried clicker training? I was really not a big fan of the idea with my birds, I thought, heck, how is that going to work without massive amounts of time and frustration but it WORKS. The idea is that you can start target training him inside the cage and then gradually work on him outside the cage. They are such quick learners and it changes the dynamic so that you are able to have a positive interaction, which both of you will find rewarding. If he shows signs of being scared when you walk up to the cage, start with that. Come as close to him as you can, when he starts showing any signs of fright or aggression, stop and wait until he calms down, then reach over and give him a treat as you click (you can use your tongue to click, don't even need a clicker). And leave the room and repeat. Work your way closer and closer every day, and then start target training. If you're desperate enough to start thinking of giving him away, it's worth a shot!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry Charlie isn't changing for the better. Have you tried using two sticks instead of one? One in front while one behind.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
She tries to just bail out instead of stepping up and ends up flopping and flailing around... last time she dropped a blood feather and chipped the tip of her beak and all I was doing was trying to get her in the carriers to go see Dr Lutz

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When working with them, do it on carpet surfaces. Or rugs, blankets and such. It'll break their fall especially for Charlie being handicapped. She have come a long ways though since you've brought her home. Maybe a little more time?

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Yeah I don't plan on getting rid of her I just want to do what is best....If I ever do decide to re home her she would go to my friend who has a yn zon he is the guy who bird sits for me so I know she would be in a good home...but like I said I plan on keeping her.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
I've had birds who never enjoyed interacting with humans. I was able to teach them to get on a stick and tolerate my presence. My Orange-wing who was purchased as an adult, and was most likely a wild caught bird, never liked being touched. Even after 30 years, he always complained about getting on my hand. He wasn't a biter, though, and would simply run to get away from me. If I insisted he would get on my hand. After teaching him how to fly to his cage, he tolerated me a bit more, because I was a way to get back to his cage.

On the other end of the spectrum was my Lilac Crown Amazon. She was most likely a wild caught bird, too, but she liked me. She loved to sit on my shoulder and ride in the car with me. She was a very engaging bird to be around. And if all Lilacs are like her, I'd recommend a Lilac for the first time Amazon owner.

Several years ago, I spoke with an avian behavorist, whose name I can't remember, but I think he lived in North Agusta, SC. He spoke about bird behavior, and how some birds will just not learn to like people. With skillfull training (food motivation activated by withholding food) you could get relutant birds to do tricks and so forth, but they may never be the cuddly ball of feathers you want.

He also pointed out that each bird is an individual, and experienced behaviorists know what type of personality their animal student has, and how to modify the behavior. Is the student shy? stubborn? dominant? Each of these personality types require different training methods. All animal trainers have their way of working with animals, which is why it is difficult to give suggestions when they can't see how the animal responds.

One of the most important things is not to take the lack of progress to heart. Don't beat yourself up over your bird's lack of social skills. Some are just not that into people, and you have to learn to be happy with the bird you have. Sometimes all you can do is give them their space, let them be a bird, and simply enjoy them for who they are.

Most Reactions