ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I'm not looking for a cuddler or even a bird that likes to be touched...I just want her to step up so that I can move her from point a to b and things like that

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
When I first got Bosley our Amazon he wouldn't step up. I bought a T stand on wheels.I put it outside his cage where he could climb on to it by himself and used copious amounts of treats to encourage him. It might be an idea to try

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I have a portable perch that I use but getting her on it is like pulling feathers ( teeth)....

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Will Charlie climb out on his cage if the doors open ? I think getting him away from the cage is whats going to make a change.If he does [pick him up with a towel]. Take him to a bathroom and spend time with him on the floor. When its time to go . Have him step up on a perch [he most likely will ] .Im sure he wants to be out of there. Keep working with him that way [I would think he would get used to the perch] Talk to Kiwibird ,her bird did progress but slowly.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Yes she hangs out on her cage top most anytime I am home...she has only come off it twice on her own...Once when she got her food door open and I came home and she was in the kitchen on top of parkers cage...her cage is in the living room while Parker and Juno have their cages in the kitchen...I can just bring then into the living room bit Charlie is always in where we spend most of our time...

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Bosley never liked a portable perch. His t stand works because he can come out of his cage on his own to it.Once he came on the stand I was able to wheel him into different parts of the house, it went a long way to building trust and bond.I also don't encourage him hanging out on the top of his cage.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
The one I have is a perch on a camera tripod no wheels

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Have you had any luck with Charlie :)

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I got her out of the cage and into the kitchen today...she freaked out on me and belly flopped to the floor... maybe she will just be a in and on the cage kind of bird...

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
I get calls for birds that do this all the time. For safety reasons, you need to be able to handle your bird without too much stress. Think about what would happen if your bird needed to see a vet, or heaven forbid your home needed to be evacuated. These are both real possibilities, not to mention the plethora of other possibilities in which a bird would need to be handled.

First off, it's important to know what happens when the bird bites. The common, and natural response is to pull away. This actually teaches the bird that if it continues biting, it can avoid an unpleasant interaction. Some otherwise friendly birds also think of this as a game. It's important to not pull your hand away.

It's important to teach this slowly. When I deal with biting birds, I actually apply more pressure when the bird bites. Instead of the desired release of pressure, the bird learns that biting does not make the unpleasant interaction stop, but actually increases the unpleasantness of the interaction. For the first couple of lessons, the second the bird stops biting, pull your hand away. If it's for half a second between bites, pull your hand away. The bird will wonder what it did to earn the desired reward. This makes the bird think. After a few more repetitions, the bird will understand that the lack of biting releases the pressure, and will therefore begin to offer less biting when you reach for it. Practice this for a few sessions, remembering that it is important to pull your hand away when the bird stops biting.

I understand that bites are painful, and with some larger birds they can even be dangerous. As a behaviorist, I have learned, that when working with large predatory animals, we use a fake hand. A lot of dog trainers and animal shelters use such. Sounds expensive, right? On the contrary! Here is one of many under $10 I have found in a quick search on Amazon. The one I have I purchased from a manufacturer that makes Schutzhund gear for dogs, so I spent a little more money on mine. But any realistic looking hand will do.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/RI-Novelty-The-Surprising-Arm/dp/B000NFBZJC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1393076657&sr=8-9&keywords=fake+hand]Amazon.com : The Surprising Arm : Fake Disembodied Apendages : Toys & Games[/ame]

So start there, and get a reliable stop to the biting behavior. Go very slowly, and keep interactions short. Remember, initially this will be stressful, so I must again reiterate, keep interactions short. Once you're there, send me a private message and we will talk about next steps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts