When you're gone

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
Do you leave them in their cages? Do you leave the cage open? closed? Currently I leave mine completely open for her to roam wherever, as was customary at the previous house. I understand the fact that this can be dangerous, but other than that, is there a reason to keep the cage closed?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Aside from the danger of them doing damage to your home, them chewing something toxic, them chewing through walls, electrical cords, etc etc etc, not to mention the potential for them to get hurt.. no, no other reason to keep the cage closed while you're away.

Sorry, was that my sarcasm coming out? Birds are like toddlers and a GCC is NO EXCEPTION! They are little, it is much easier for them to get hurt, not to mention meet an untimely demise. While my Loki is left "out" much of the day, anytime I am going to be gone from the house (other than outside for the dog or checking the mail), he is put away in his cage. Door closed. Period. My husband has accidentally left Loki out and we came home to find that Loki had chewed through his iPhone charger. PLUGGED IN! Loki could have easily been electrocuted. We could be very diligent, but we're never going to be perfect at making sure all the "dangers are covered", so to speak. Safest place for a toddler that can't be completely supervised is in a "safe space" or a playpen. The cage for a bird is no different.

OP
F

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Parrots
If you spent your entire life, all 8 years, being able to do whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted (so long as it's on your private property) then all of a sudden someone locked you in your bedroom for no apparent reason? Sound a lot like prison doesn't it? I clearly stated that I understand the dangers, but you need to understand that she has lived like that her whole life. She doesn't leave her cage (onto my desk/bed etc) while i'm gone, ever. If she did, I would be closing it. You can take your ignorant sarcasm and leave it else where. Taking this danger in account, i've been considering starting to close her cage. So for that reason, in an effort to not make the cage a prison cell, I wanted to consult a forum of loving bird owners about introducing this concept. Thanks a lot for your snarky remark, i'll be sure to keep it in consideration.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I keep them closed, mainly for dangers. I caught my eclectus chewing a picture frame that is above her cage while i was at home it didnt even occur to me she would do that but she did. As one said there are many dangers in a house like electrical cords and our stuff that they would love to chew on that we don't want them to. Basiclly a closed cage is just to keep them from damaging our stuff or hurting themselves with cords chewing moldings wood etc.

I also lock them up because one time when i first got my eclectus I went out 10 minutes i didnt want to force her off her play area, so i left her when i came home she had moved rooms and climbed on top of my conures cage and was playing with his toys and he was not happy LOL I noticed my girl she will stay on her stuff but as soon as she cant see me I can hear her hauling and trying to do what she wants my girl will walk down my hallway or enter my kitchen I know she could cause trouble if i left her to roam around the house.

Last edited:

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
My GCC Jasmine stays in her cage while I go to work. She loves her toys which I switch around every few days. I also leave food for her to forage - a skewer with applpe or carrot; a round 'bell' with slots for food to be pulled out. Most recently i got her a foraging wheel but she hasn't quite understood she can move the holes to where she wants - it's still a work in progress ;)
Jasmine seems happy in her cage and makes a little chirrup when she's playing with her favourite preening toy. I also leave the radio on for her and she sings along!
Hope this helps

OP
F

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Parrots
Thanks guys. Trina, I burst out laughing at the story of your eclectus on the conures cage! hahah, hope they get along now :) I think I want to start keeping Kiwi in her cage, and then she'll also be more inclined to hang out with me when i'm home! :)

ZephyrTK

Sep 15, 2012
Woodland Hills, CA
Parrots
Sun Conure- Emmy
Locked up! My sun likes to fly all over (even though her wings are clipped) and I'd be terrified of her getting into something she wasn't supposed to or me stepping on her when I got back.

Emmy doesn't think of her cage as a prison. In fact, when she gets scared (sneezing completely freaks her out) she will fly from her play gym to her cage for protection. :orange:

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Louis - GCC, hatched 9.05.2012
Locked up with treats and toys. When my parents get back home they let Louis out and play with him so he isn't too lonely :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Sorry, but I just think its irresponsible to not contain them
Properly. It's like the people who have severe issues training their puppies to not be destructive and to housebreak, but refuse to crate train or restrict them in any way.

Yeah, it would suck going from free reign to being confined, but eventually they do get accustomed to it. But hey, if you want to have your home destroyed, and find a bird that's come to an end that could have been prevented, that's your business.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Birds are exactly like kids, they need to be supervised 24/7.

Accident do occur, anything could happen, when you are not around.

I once forgot to close Mishka's cage door, was in a hurry.
He was out for 7 hours in total.
When my son returned home, Mishka was sitting on top of his cage, talking away.
There was not one poopie on the floor, only in his cage, he actually sat there for 7 hours.
I thank God he was safe, and did not chew any electical cords, harming himself.
He could have chewed my lounge suite, torn the curtains etc I WAS LUCKY

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
My Alex has free roam of my room when I'm not there. You have to take steps to birdproof a room. In essence, the room becomes like a big cage. If you want to leave your bird out, just take the precautions to make it safe.

I'll never understand people who modify their bird before modifying their environment to be "safe."

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
My Alex has free roam of my room when I'm not there. You have to take steps to birdproof a room. In essence, the room becomes like a big cage. If you want to leave your bird out, just take the precautions to make it safe.

I'll never understand people who modify their bird before modifying their environment to be "safe."

I wish I had a "safe room" for Mishka where he could roam freely during the day. Unfortunately that is not possible.

I am more than happy though, he has an enormous cage, lots and lots of toys to keep him stimulated, and swings and chains to entertain himself.

Mishka is a very happy and content bird.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
My house is fairly bird safe, but I don't know what kind of paint is on my walls, or what is underneath the paint.. I also have ceiling lights is all my rooms, and I don't know how safe they are...

When I'm not at home my birds are in their cages with lots of things to do and eat...

When I had small children, I put them in a playpen, so they were safe, while I was doing other things...

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
I always close the cage for Tich but make sure he has plenty of toys and treats to keep him occupied. I mainly do this because of the dangers, plus I have a cat which is an even bigger risk. There are people at home who freely take him out while I'm at work and give him cuddles, though.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Aside from the danger of them doing damage to your home, them chewing something toxic, them chewing through walls, electrical cords, etc etc etc, not to mention the potential for them to get hurt.. no, no other reason to keep the cage closed while you're away.

Sorry, was that my sarcasm coming out? Birds are like toddlers and a GCC is NO EXCEPTION! They are little, it is much easier for them to get hurt, not to mention meet an untimely demise. While my Loki is left "out" much of the day, anytime I am going to be gone from the house (other than outside for the dog or checking the mail), he is put away in his cage. Door closed. Period. My husband has accidentally left Loki out and we came home to find that Loki had chewed through his iPhone charger. PLUGGED IN! Loki could have easily been electrocuted. We could be very diligent, but we're never going to be perfect at making sure all the "dangers are covered", so to speak. Safest place for a toddler that can't be completely supervised is in a "safe space" or a playpen. The cage for a bird is no different.

I think every Bird is individual. As the OP already stated, his Conure has been used to living outside of his Cage for the last 8 Years and has never come to any harm!

We are not here to judge people, just simply to give our honest opinion! While I can see you have given your heartfelt opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to do, this does not in any way warrant such sarcasm! IMO, this is totally uncalled for!

Jessxoxo

Sep 4, 2012
I leave my cheech in his cage! I think he feels more secure that way... Because the few times I haven't put him back in his cage I come home and as soon as I walk in the door he starts yelling at me until I actually get him and put him in his cage! Even at night when I close his cage and turn off the lights he always gives a little chirp like he's saying thank you! He's quite the character! Lol

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Generally, my "house policy" is that Pritti is inside a secured cage whenever no one is home. But.... (there's always a but - they're the one's that cause all the trouble)... but sometimes if i'm must going out for a short time and he's sleeping or very docile, i'll leave him inside open cage on his sleeping perch. I know him pretty darn well after being roomies for 20 years, so if he is in a rambunctious or energetic mood and heading in all directions, I definitely wouldn't leave him outside cage even for a short time out of the house.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
My Green Cheeks have cages fit for much larger birds so I have no issues locking them up when I need to cook, shop, etc. When I'm home, 90% of the time they are out of the cage and playing were I can see them. I don't want my babies that I love with all my heart chewing on painted walls, trim, curtains, window molding, or anything else that was not specifically designed for birds.

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
I shut my birds in when I leave. That said, aside from paper, my budgies and linnie are not big chewers. I told the pet sitter if they accidentally get out during the weekend we're gone and she can't get them back in, leave them out and come back in a few hours. I'd rather do that then have them being chased and come to harm that way (they can all fly, and she's not a bird person).

Mr_Tarell

Oct 16, 2012
Long Island, N.Y.
Parrots
Alexandrine named Tiki
I keep my Alexandrine in his cage when no one is going to be home. My birdcage is in the living room and living in a family of 6 and the ages ranging from 7 to 44, its quite difficult to bird proof the living room; considering we spend most of our time in there. When I first got him I had left his cage door open and went out for about two hours. When I got home he was on top of my aquarium; he completely chewed off the electrical cord for the aquarium lighting and was chewing on my filter. I was frightened, I checked him to see if anything was wrong with him and he seemed fine. Since then, whenever we all leave the house he knows he's gonna be in his cage; if someone is home he can play outside. But everyone is different and we all have birds with different personalities. So we all have to do what seem fit.

Last edited:

Most Reactions