Where did your bird's name come from?

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Russell's full name is Russell Peters Benajmin-Martins. :eek:

I am wondering if you are going to teach Russell to say his full name LoL
He's smart enough he probably could say it. I can't believe how much his vocabulary has grown over the last few weeks, everyday it's a new word, he's so funny.

Russell Peters is in homage of our homebred hilarious comedian, and then we had to stick our surnames on the end, I don't think Russell cares what his name is to have to learn it all.

BTW i Love Mishka's name it sounds so pretty.
Thanks she is pretty, I just hope she is a female LoL
If not, we will have to call her Mishko.

How old is Russell now? Mishka is just over two years old now.
She is also learning so many new sentences per week, its amazing.
Last week I taught her to say the bell is ringing tick tock tick tock.
Then she adds our names on and says mommy or Sean or Steven, the bell is ringing tick tock tick tock.
Each week something new, she does not enjoy singing so much or whistling.
She sings Baa Baa Black Sheep have you any Mishka then talks and just talks. haha I guess she takes after me.
I hope our feathered friends realize how much love and joy they give us.
Russell is 13 months, he started sayng hello at 4-5 months. the new thing is when the phone rings Russell says hello for like 5 minutes. Oh oh oh, and now when he sees me cooking he calls "Supper" everyone comes but supper is not ready yet!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Russell is 13 months, he started sayng hello at 4-5 months. the new thing is when the phone rings Russell says hello for like 5 minutes. Oh oh oh, and now when he sees me cooking he calls "Supper" everyone comes but supper is not ready yet!

Our birds sure are alike.
Mishka also started saying hello and I love you at about 3 months old.
Wait until Russell starts learning the foamy members names.
Mishka calls my son, Sean come here please, Sean then comes into my office saying yes mom you called. At first he did not believe it was Mishka. NOW when I call him LoL he ignores me.
When someone knocks on the door, she says knock on the door, and makes the sound. NOW when someone is knocking, I ignore them haha

Keep on talking and talking and talking non stop, you will be amazed how quickly they learn.
Mishka loves saying sentences, her vocabulary is over 300 words now.
She is mixing the words together, making her own sentences, and they make sense.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hugo's name comes from Hugo The Boss the fragrance and its very suiting as he is the boss - Lol. :)

The Boss has spoken !!!!!!!

Mishka listened to the BOSS This morning she said JESSICA AND WHISTLED. Your name sounds so cute coming from her......
As soon as I can I will record her and send it to you.
Now she will start putting other words together with your name.
NOW THE FUN BEGINS !!!! :eek:

artist_lace

Mar 2, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Parrots
Babe - Lutino Cockatiel /
PJ - Grey Cockatiel /
Scout - Grey Cockatiel /
Kiwi - Grey Cockatiel /
Milo - Blue and White Budgie
"Scout" was from To Kill a Mockingbird
"Pixel" was because the little black specks on the feathers of the back of her head looked like pixels
"Milo" was for my love of the actor Milo Ventimiglia (Heroes, Gilmore Girls, etc.)
"PJ" could say his name by the time we adopted him, so we kept it
"Kiwi" was adopted, and was previously named "BB." I liked the name "Kiwi" better and she adapted to it just fine. (Similar sound and repeating syllables)
It's a debate in my family where the name "Babe" came from. That was in 1991 or 1992, so it's hard to remember for sure!

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
I have always LOVED france so when I got my cinnamon green cheeked conure her name came to me quickly- Toulouse. =)

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Sunshine (my tiel): His name is sunshine because of the white "rays" of sunshine on his neck. It looks like light rays radiating from his bright yellow face. And, of course, his sunshiny personality!

Pineapple (the other tiel): His yellow face looks like the yellow of a pineapple. I actually had thoughts about changing his name before he understands what it currently is.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
"Kiwi" was adopted, and was previously named "BB." I liked the name "Kiwi" better and she adapted to it just fine. (Similar sound and repeating syllables)

I love the name Kiwi, sounds so sweet and yummy yummy !!! :D

Revill

Sep 15, 2009
Ariel, my cockatiel got his name from his "pick me up NOW!" screech. ARIEL! ARIEL! ARIEL! (repeat until satisfied). Besides, I'm a fan of classic motorcycles and the Ariel Square Four is one I'd love to have had the opportunity to own. No, I've never seen The Little Mermaid and didn't get the reference. Everybody tells me "that's a girl's name". No, it's not. Read "The Tempest" by Shakespeare.

Parkep

Apr 12, 2010
hi my suns name is Pita...stands for "pain in the ass" ;)
Kinda mean i know but i loved the pita

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Marigold: Named after a flower I grew.
Skye: Kinda obvious as he's blue.
Chubba Chubs: He was always first to be fed as a baby and his cheeks kind of puffed out.
Thimble: I was amazed at how small she was when she hatched so I had to call her a small name.
Lexi: That kind of came to me.
Dude: Don't ask, he's my brother's.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
What a great thread. Shadow has a blue ring around her eye which looks like eye shadow (she even has little lashes - very girly), she also follows us around the house like a little Shadow.

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
I was going to name Cracker Paulie after the bird in the movie. A friend at work suggested that I name him Cracker which I thought was better and more original than Paulie. Now that HE his talking I might try and teach him how to say "Cracker wants a Polly".

burley

Apr 17, 2010
Oriential NC
Parrots
"VAL" greenwing macaw
we named our greenwing VAL. Short for Valentine. How many people get a big red bird on valentines day? We did!!!!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
My keet got her name S'mores from the fact she looks just like that sticky, white, sweet goodness inside two pieces of graham crackers and chocolate.
The my tiel, Bartleby, got his name from a character in a comic book series called Bone by Jeff Smith. In the book, a charcter named Smiley, who is like me, has a pet rat creature named Bartleby.

kazelkich03

Jul 9, 2010
I have a parrot and her name is Camael. An angel name meaning angel of joy. I give the name for my parrot because she makes me happy every time I see her.

Bettymonroe

May 19, 2010
FLA
Parrots
Lookin for a new friend!
Alice got her name cause when I was thinking of a name, my friends said what about after something you like..like hatter or stuff relating to alice in wonderland. (I have a tattoo sleeve of alice in wonderland) and I said I will call her Alice! She looks like something from a wonderland with all those colors!!! and like she could get into lots of trouble:p:orange:

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Great thread.

Beau is the name my CAG came with and I liked it as it is kinda unisex though I suspect Beau is female.
Argyle was named by my son after our local football team Plymouth Argyle - they play in green. He came with the name Harvey which I liked but wanted to include my son in the naming of Argyle because Beau was a birthday gift and I guess is more "mine" although I also paid for Argyle he is considered more the family's bird lol.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Awesome thread everyone! Lovin all the names :)

I named my GCC Hiroshi because a year ago I had a crimson belly named Yoshi who passed away. I wanted to keep the "oshi" and Hiroshi popped into my head. Later I read that it means "generous".

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I have a tattoo sleeve of alice in wonderland

I wanna see! I love well-done tattoos. I have one one the top of each foot, and my husband has a half-sleeve on his left arm and is about 1/2 done with a half-sleeve on his right. His are based on the Chinese legend Journey to the West with the Monkey King.

Most Reactions